The Talk: Aarti Sequeira Turmeric
Aarti Sequeira, a Food Network personality and the author of Aarti Paarti: An American Kitchen with an Indian Soul, visited The Talk to share some delicious eats featuring the “miracle spice” Turmeric. Try her Roasted Garlic & Cilantro-Stuffed Shrimp, or check out Warm Turmeric Milk.
Turmeric, a popular Indian spice, is said to help the brain and joints. It can even be used as a face mask. Wear gloves while working with Turmeric if you want to prevent it from staining your skin. Combine Turmeric with fat and black pepper to help your body properly absorb it.
The Talk: Aarti Sequeira Iron Chef Roasted Garlic & Cilantro-Stuffed Shrimp Recipe Ingredients
“I won Iron Chef making this, so you know it’s good,” Aarti said of her shrimp dinner. She also gave a shout out to her mom, who taught her the recipe.
- 2 thin sliced Fennel bulbs (fronds reserved)
- 1 bunch minced Cilantro leaves and stems
- 2 tsp ground Turmeric
- 8 peeled, chopped cloves Garlic
- Zest and Juice of 2 Limes
- 1 tsp ground Coriander
- 15 large shelled, deveined Shrimp
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
Aarti Sequeira: The Talk Iron Chef Roasted Garlic & Cilantro-Stuffed Shrimp Recipe Directions
- Preheat the oven at 375 F and prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Rough chop 1/4 cup of fennel fronds. Toss these with fennel slices, 1/4 cup cilantro, lime zest and juice, salt and pepper. Cover and chill.
- Stir turmeric with coriander and a teaspoon of salt in 3 tbsp of olive oil. Toss shrimp in this marinade mixture and reserve.
- In a food processor, pulse garlic with 3/4 cup cilantro to mince. Transfer this to a bowl, adding 2 tbsp olive oil with salt and pepper.
- Use a paring knife to cut a deep slit in the back of each shrimp (where the vein was removed). Stuff each shrimp with about 1/4 tsp garlic mixture.
- Arrange the stuffed shrimp on the prepared baking sheet.
- Roast shrimp for 16-17 minutes, depending on their size. Turn the sheet during cooking.
- Serve shrimp as soon as they are cooked, along with chilled fennel salad.