The Chew: Michael Symon Tortilla Soup Recipe
Michael Symon whipped up a great Tortilla Soup recipe on The Chew. He said tortilla soup changed his life, because he first had some shortly after making the decision to go to culinary school. He’d never tasted anything like it and he absolutely loved it! Now, he made his favorite Tortilla Soup recipe with the hopes that it would change our lives, too!
Check out my attempt at reproducing his Tortilla Soup recipe below!
The Chew: Michael Symon Tortilla Soup Recipe Ingredients
- 1 Onion (Diced)
- 2 Jalapenos (Seeds and Ribs In; Coined)
- 2 Cloves Garlic (Chopped)
- 2 Tortillas (Cut into Strips)
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 1 16 Ounce Can Tomato Sauce
- 2 Cups Chicken Stock
- 1 16 Ounce Can Peeled Tomatoes
- 1 Pound Cooked Shredded Chicken
- Juice of 1 Lime
- Favorite Hot Sauce
- Diced Avocado (For Garnish)
- Queso Fresco (For Garnish)
- Fried Corn Tortilla Strips (For Garnish)
- Chopped Cilantro (For Garnish)
Michael Symon: The Chew Tortilla Soup Recipe Directions
- Start by bringing a drizzle of olive oil to medium high heat in a pan. Add the onion and cook until transparent.
- Add the jalapeno and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Then add the garlic and wait another 30 seconds, stirring everything around.
- Add the tortillas and stir again. Add the cumin and a pinch of salt and wait another 30 seconds. Michael Symon said that when you add spices to the fat while you’re cooking, you’ll maximize your flavor.
- Stir in the tomato sauce.
- Remove to blender and add 1 cup chicken stock and puree until smooth.
- Add to a large Dutch oven. Add the rest of the chicken stock and the chicken. Cook for about 20 minutes on a simmer until everything is nice and warm and the flavors are blended. Make sure to have extra stock on the side which you can use to add to the soup if it gets too thick or if it reduces too much.
- Serve in a bowl with your favorite garnish, whether that’s avocado, queso fresco, fried corn tortilla strips, chopped cilantrro, or all four. Feel free to add your own kinds of toppings as well! Make it yours!