The Chew: Natalie Desselle Reid Recipe
Actress Natalie Desselle Reid came by The Chew to make a delicious Whole Wheat Pita Pizzas recipe, the perfect customizable recipe for parents raising kids with different tastes. Natalie just warms up the marinara sauce and lets her kids choose their own toppings, from artichoke hearts to ground beef to cherry tomatoes. Your kids will have a blast making their own mini pizza right there in the kitchen! This is the perfect solution to that situation everyone dreads, where one day you set a meal before your kid only to find out they’re not interested in eating it. Your kid can’t refuse it if they’re the one that made it!
This recipe will also get your kids interested in cooking, which is great because maybe it’ll make them curious about new and different kinds of foods.
Check out my attempt at reproducing this recipe below!
The Chew: Natalie Desselle Reid Whole Wheat Pita Pizzas Recipe Ingredients
Whole Wheat Pita Pizzas Ingredients
- 4 Whole Wheat Pitas
- 1 Jar Marinara Sauce (Warmed)
- 1 Cup Mozzarella (Shredded)
- 1/2 Cup Goat Cheese (Crumbled)
- 1/2 Cup Blue Cheese (Crumbled)
- 1/4 Cup Parmesan Cheese (Grated)
- 1/2 Pound Ground Beef (Browned)
- 1/2 Cup Bacon (Cooked, Crumbled)
- 1/4 Pound Pepperoni (Thinly Sliced)
- 1/2 Cup Broccoli (Cooked)
- 1/2 Cup Bell Peppers (Sliced)
- 1/2 Cup Mushrooms (Cooked)
- 1/4 Cup Cherry Tomatoes (Halved)
- 1 Cup Caramelized Onions
Natalie Desselle Reid: The Chew Whole Wheat Pita Pizzas Recipe Directions
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Spread marinara sauce on each pita and sprinkle with cheese and your other favorite toppings. Natalie Desselle Reid made hers with mozzarella, ground beef, peppers, pepperoni, and artichoke hearts, but you can choose whatever you want for toppings. As Carla Hall would say, “Let your freak flag fly!” This is supposed to be a mini pizza, so anything that tastes good on pizza will taste good on these. Top with the suggested toppings or substitute your own. If you’re making this for your kids, sub in their favorite meats and veggies.
- Place pitas on greased baking sheets and cook until the cheese starts to get good and bubbly, about 5 to 10 minutes. Then cut into wedges like pizza slices.
- Enjoy! Serve with a healthy salad on the side.