Rachael Ray: Devils On Horseback
Anne Burrell visited Rachael Ray to share one of my favorite appetizers, Bacon-Wrapped Dates. I have also heard them called Devils on Horseback. The important things to remember are that they are wrapped in bacon on the outside and filled with cheese on the inside. Also try her Shrimp in Garlic Olive Oil Recipe.
“Bacon makes it better,” Anne said of this great snack or appetizer. You can prep these in advance and then just stick them in the oven before guests arrive for cocktail hour. The glaze at the end helps give you a taste of sour along with sweet.
Rachael Ray: Anne Burrell Bacon-Wrapped Dates Recipe with Chorizo and Manchego Ingredients
- 12 pitted Medjool Dates
- 3 links Chorizo (out of casing)
- 1/4 cup Maple Syrup
- 1/2 lb Manchego (cut in 12 logs)
- 6 halved slices Bacon
- 2 tbsp Sherry Vinegar
Anne Burrell: Rachael Ray Bacon-Wrapped Dates with Chorizo and Manchego Recipe Directions
- Preheat the oven at 375 F.
- Cut into each date along its length. Open it up and gently flatten it. Remove the pit if there is one.
- Insert a piece of Manchego into each date’s center.
- Break each sausage link into quarters and form each portion into the length of a date, squeezing it against the Manchego.
- Close the date and press firmly to secure it. Then wrap a piece of bacon around the date and keep it in place using a toothpick.
- Arrange all the dates on a baking sheet and put them in the oven. Roast them for seven to eight minutes, or until the bacon starts to get crispy.
- Flip the dates over and roast them on the other side for seven or eight more minutes.
- Mix syrup with vinegar in a small bowl.
- Once dates come out of the oven, brush them with the syrup mixture.
- Stick them back in the oven for one to two more minutes. They should come out stickly and crackling.
- Let them rest for a moment before serving hot.