The Talk: Tomato Pesto Potatoes
Chef Fabio Viviani was in The Talk kitchen with a delicious meal of Peppered Beef Tenderloin. He paired that with this Roasted Scalloped Potatoes Recipe, featuring a Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto. To complete the menu, try his dessert suggestion of Vanilla Fritters.
The Talk: Fabio Viviani Roasted Scalloped Potatoes Recipe with Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto Ingredients
I love the flavor of tomatoes, and I also appreciate the sense of variety in using them instead of a more traditional basil base for a pesto sauce. Pre-cooking the potatoes will help save time later on.
“Any cheese that melts would be very good,” Viviani said, so feel free to make a substitution if you need to. “It’s an earthy dish. It’s tasty” and it has “a lot of flavor,” the chef explained.
- 3 lb Baking Potatoes
- 3 tbsp chopped Parsley
- 2 cups shredded Fontina Cheese
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- Salt & Pepper
Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto Ingredients
- 2 cups Sun-Dried Tomatoes
- 1/4 cup Pine Nuts
- 1/2 cup Basil leaves
- 1/4 cup Baby Spinach
- 1 cup grated Pecorino Romano Cheese
- 1/4 cup Parsley
- 3 cloves smashed, peeled Garlic
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
The Talk: Fabio Viviani Roasted Scalloped Potatoes Recipe Directions with Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto
- To make the pesto, combine ingredients in a food processor to form a paste. Adjust consistency using oil or water as needed.
- Preheat the oven to 425 F.
- Prepare a baking dish with olive oil.
- Slice potatoes into 1/2” rounds.
- Boil a pot of water and cook potatoes around 10 minutes, until just about fork-tender.
- Drain the potatoes and toss them in one cup of pesto for an even coating; salt and pepper.
- Add a layer of potatoes to the baking dish and sprinkle with Fontina cheese.
- Repeat with two more layers each of potatoes and cheese. Top with parsley.
- Heat cream in a pot until just at the boiling point.
- Pour hot cream over potatoes and cover the pan with foil.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Then reduce oven temperature to 375 F, uncover the pan, and cook another 15 minutes, or until cheese is bubbling and almost brown.