The Chew: Crostini with Salad
The Chew took First Lady Michelle Obama’s #GimmeFive challenge by incorporating fresh ingredients into a healthy springtime dish. Michael Symon led the charge to make this Spring Pea Crostini with Poached Eggs and Asparagus Salad.
Symon explained that his secret to healthy cooking is using seasonal ingredients, so that you are always getting maximum flavor without having to add too much fat or a bunch of processed ingredients.
The Chew: Michael Symon Spring Pea Crostini with Poached Eggs + Asparagus Salad Recipe Ingredients
If you want to use fresh peas, shuck them and then blanch them until they’re tender. But if you’re making this when peas aren’t in season, or you need a time saver, frozen peas will work great!
- 1 clove minced Garlic
- 1/4 tsp Chili Flakes
- 2 tbsp Water
- 1/4 cup crumbled Feta
- 4 Eggs
- grilled Sourdough Bread (in 1/2” slices)
- 1 minced Shallot
- 1 1/2 cups thawed Frozen Spring Peas
- 1 tsp Sherry Vinegar
- 1 tbsp fine chopped Mint
- shaved Radish
- flaky Sea Salt
- Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
Asparagus Salad Ingredients
- 1 bunch trimmed thick Green Asparagus
- 2 tsp White Wine Vinegar
- 1 segmented Grapefruit
- 2 tbsp fine chopped Tarragon
- 2 tbsp chopped toasted Hazelnuts
- 1 1/2 oz Pecorino-Romano Cheese
- Zest & Juice of 1 Orange
- 1 segmented Orange
- 2 tbsp fine chopped Mint
- 3 tbsp fine chopped Parsley
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil
Michael Symon: The Chew Spring Pea Crostini & Asparagus Salad Recipe Directions
- Start with the crostini. Place a saute pan over medium heat. Then add olive oil with garlic, chili flakes, shallot, and a pinch of salt. Cook for about three minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add peas to the base of your food processor. Then pour in the shallot mixture, plus water and sherry vinegar. Puree until nearly smooth.
- Add olive oil and pulse until it is entirely smooth. Then transfer this to a mixing bowl with mint and feta; sprinkle with salt and pepper and reserve.
- Simmer a large pot of water and add 2 tbsp of any light vinegar. Reduce heat to low. Once there are no bubbles, start stirring quickly with a spoon and drop the eggs into the center. Cook for about four minutes, but do not move the eggs.
- Spread a spoonful of pea puree onto a piece of toast and garnish it with a radish.
- Add a poached egg on top. Finish with olive oil and flaky sea salt. Serve with asparagus salad.
Asparagus Salad Directions
- Shave asparagus lengthwise with a vegetable peeler.
- Use the same peeler to shave pecorino romano into the same bowl; salt and reserve.
- Whisk orange zest and juice with vinegar and olive oil. Mix dressing with asparagus and let rest for five minutes.
- Toss in citrus pieces, hazelnuts, and herbs at serving time.