Kathie Lee & Hoda: Jeanne Benedict
Kathie Lee and Hoda welcomed lifestyle expert Jeanne Benedict to share some festive holiday cocktails that are perfect for Christmas Eve or New Year’s Eve. Her suggestions included the North Pole Mule and Caramel Apple Sparkler. If you’re feeling crafty, Jeanne showed off Penguin Martinis and Reindeer Marshmallows.
Cocktails can sometimes be an afterthought with all the planning that goes into planning big events. But as Jeanne’s ideas demonstrate, a little creativity can go a long way and really pay off in compliments from your guests.
Kathie Lee & Hoda: Jeanne Benedict North Pole Mule Recipe
Jeanne said that this North Pole Mule is a Rudolph-inspired twist on the trendy Moscow Mule cocktail.
- 5 oz Ginger Beer
- Juice of 1/2 Lime
- 1 1/2 oz Vodka
- 1 tbsp Grenadine
- Rim a tall glass with sugar and sprinkles.
- In a tall glass, pour ginger beer over ice.
- Add the remaining ingredients.
- Stir with a festive straw and serve.
Jeanne Benedict: Today Show Caramel Apple Sparkler Recipe
These Caramel Apple Sparklers are a combination of caramel-infused apple cider and champagne.
- 1 quart Apple Cider
- 1/2 cup Caramels (+ 4 for garnish)
- Brut Champagne (or use Dry White Sparkling Wine)
- Coarse Salt
- Add the caramels to the apple cider. Cover and let rest overnight to infuse.
- Strain and refrigerate the cider. Throw away the used caramels.
- Arrange four caramels on a microwave-safe plate and nuke in 10-second increments until they are flexible.
- Press each caramel to flatten it.
- Then cut a shape using a miniature Christmas tree cookie cutter prepared with nonstick spray (or another shape of your choice).
- Cut a small slit in the bottom of each caramel shape. Garnish them with coarse salt.
- For serving, slide the slit of each caramel onto the rim of a flute glass.
- Add 1 oz cider and top off with champagne.