Today’s Kitchen: Father’s Day Favorites
The faces of Today Show have been celebrating dads through food in the recipe series Father’s Day Favorites. Al Roker’s daughter Courtney, a professional chef, visited Today’s Kitchen to cook with her day. They made a Pepper-Crusted Ribeye served with Bacon & Blue Cheese Butter and a side dish of Creamed Kale.
Courtney said that steak is what her dad said he would choose as a last meal. What do you think your father would request as his favorite meal? Share your thoughts in the comments section.
Today Show: Al Roker Pepper-Crusted Ribeye with Bacon & Blue Cheese Butter and Creamed Kale Recipe Ingredients
- 1 bone-in, 2” thick Ribeye Steak
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 2 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 1 tbsp Fleur de Sel
- 1 tbsp Black Pepper
Bacon & Blue Cheese Butter Ingredients
- 1 stick Butter
- Blue Cheese crumbles
Creamed Kale Ingredients
- 2 1/2 bunches Kale
- 5 cloves Garlic
- 1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese
- 1 diced Onion
- 1 1/2 cups Cottage Cheese
- 2 tbsp Butter
Al Roker: Today Show Pepper-Crusted Ribeye with Bacon & Blue Cheese Butter and Creamed Kale Recipe Directions
- Preheat the oven at 400 F.
- Heat a cast iron pan nearly to its smoking point.
- Use paper towels to pat the steaks dry before brushing them with vegetable oil.
- Mix fleur de sel with pepper on a plate. Press steaks into the seasoning mixture, coating all sides of the meat.
- Sear steaks in the hot pan on both sides.
- Top steaks with butter and transfer to oven. Cook to an internal temperature of 125 F for medium rare.
- Take the pan out of the oven and cover it with foil while the meat rests.
- Serve topped with blue cheese butter, a sprig of rosemary, and a side of creamed kale.
Bacon & Blue Cheese Butter Directions
- Let a stick of butter come to room temperature.
- Mash blue cheese crumbles into soft butter using a fork.
- Use parchment paper to roll the butter mixture into a log. Twist off the ends and chill the butter in your fridge until firm, about one hour.
- To serve, take off the parchment paper and slice the butter. Keep the excess refrigerated.
Creamed Kale Directions
- Wash, stem, and chop the kale.
- Boil three cups of water and season with salt.
- Add kale to the salted water. Reduce heat to medium and cook greens for 10 minutes.
- Separately, saute onion with garlic in butter, until onions are translucent and butter is infused with the aroma of garlic.
- Drain kale and press out all water thoroughly.
- In a food processor, combine parmesan and cottage cheese until smooth.
- Add onion with garlic butter and kale to the food processor. Combine to your desired consistency.
- Serve creamed kale warm, and garnish with extra parmesan cheese.