Today’s Kitchen: Father’s Day Favorites
The faces of Today Show have been celebrating dads through food in the recipe series Father’s Day Favorites. Al Roker’s daughter Courtney, a professional chef, visited Today’s Kitchen to cook with her day. They made a Pepper-Crusted Ribeye served with Bacon & Blue Cheese Butter and a side dish of Creamed Kale.
Courtney said that steak is what her dad said he would choose as a last meal. What do you think your father would request as his favorite meal? Share your thoughts in the comments section.
For more Father’s Day Favorites, try Carson Daly’s Grilled Steak, Hoda Kotb’s Kofta Burgers, and Bill Geist’s Spicy Gonzo Chili.
Today Show: Al Roker Pepper-Crusted Ribeye with Bacon & Blue Cheese Butter and Creamed Kale Recipe Ingredients
- 1 bone-in, 2” thick Ribeye Steak
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 2 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 1 tbsp Fleur de Sel
- 1 tbsp Black Pepper
Bacon & Blue Cheese Butter Ingredients
- 1 stick Butter
- Blue Cheese crumbles
Creamed Kale Ingredients
- 2 1/2 bunches Kale
- 5 cloves Garlic
- 1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese
- 1 diced Onion
- 1 1/2 cups Cottage Cheese
- 2 tbsp Butter
Al Roker: Today Show Pepper-Crusted Ribeye with Bacon & Blue Cheese Butter and Creamed Kale Recipe Directions
- Preheat the oven at 400 F.
- Heat a cast iron pan nearly to its smoking point.
- Use paper towels to pat the steaks dry before brushing them with vegetable oil.
- Mix fleur de sel with pepper on a plate. Press steaks into the seasoning mixture, coating all sides of the meat.
- Sear steaks in the hot pan on both sides.
- Top steaks with butter and transfer to oven. Cook to an internal temperature of 125 F for medium rare.
- Take the pan out of the oven and cover it with foil while the meat rests.
- Serve topped with blue cheese butter, a sprig of rosemary, and a side of creamed kale.
Bacon & Blue Cheese Butter Directions
- Let a stick of butter come to room temperature.
- Mash blue cheese crumbles into soft butter using a fork.
- Use parchment paper to roll the butter mixture into a log. Twist off the ends and chill the butter in your fridge until firm, about one hour.
- To serve, take off the parchment paper and slice the butter. Keep the excess refrigerated.
Creamed Kale Directions
- Wash, stem, and chop the kale.
- Boil three cups of water and season with salt.
- Add kale to the salted water. Reduce heat to medium and cook greens for 10 minutes.
- Separately, saute onion with garlic in butter, until onions are translucent and butter is infused with the aroma of garlic.
- Drain kale and press out all water thoroughly.
- In a food processor, combine parmesan and cottage cheese until smooth.
- Add onion with garlic butter and kale to the food processor. Combine to your desired consistency.
- Serve creamed kale warm, and garnish with extra parmesan cheese.
Leave a Reply