Kathie Lee & Hoda: New Year Cocktails
To ring in the new year, Kathie Lee & Hoda invited The Cocktail Club author Maureen Petrosky to share some of her best ideas for cocktails and mocktails. Try a Pomegranate Mojito, Nutella Hot Cocoa, or Honey Ginger Sparkler.
Today Show: Maureen Petrosky Pomegranate Mojito Recipe
Muddling the fresh mint helps bring out its flavor in the Pomegranate Mojito. Hoda Kotb’s New Year’s Eve advice is to pace yourself. To make this a mocktail, leave out the rum.
- 1 oz Lime Juice
- 2 tsp Superfine Sugar
- 2 oz Pomegranate Juice
- 6 Mint leaves
- 2 oz White Rum
- Club Soda
- Lime wedges
- Pomegranate seeds
- Muddle lime juice with mint leaves and sugar in a tall glass.
- Add ice, rum, and pomegranate juice to the glass. Stir.
- Top off with club soda. Serve garnished with a lime wedge and pomegranate seeds.
Maureen Petrosky: Kathie Lee & Hoda Nutella Hot Cocoa Recipe
Make a batch of this Nutella Hot Cocoa and keep it warm on the stove throughout the evening.
There are plenty of options to let adults spike their own cocoa. The ladies discussed Rum, Frangelico hazelnut liqueur, bourbon, or a chocolate mint liqueur.
For kids, offer a variety of colors and shapes of marshmallows and/or whipped cream.
- 6 cups Milk
- 1 Cinnamon stick
- 1 1/2 cups Nutella
- Simmer milk in a large pot. Stir in Nutella until fully mixed.
- Add the cinnamon stick and keep this pot warm on the stove.
- Use a ladle to serve cocoa from the pot.
Kathie Lee & Hoda: Maureen Petrosky Juniper Gin Cocktail Recipe
“Juniper is a night wintry flavor,” Petrosky said as she introduced this gin drink. It’s never a bad idea to throw in some antioxidants with your alcohol, which is what’s happening with this beverage.
- 1 oz Blueberry Syrup
- 2 oz Gin
- 1 oz Lime Juice
- Club Soda
Blueberry Syrup Ingredients
- 1 cup Water
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 cup Blueberries
- To make the syrup, boil the ingredients in a saucepan and stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Reduce heat and simmer on low heat for about 10 minutes.
- Take off heat and strain blueberries to extract juice. Chill the syrup.
- To make the cocktail, add syrup and lime juice to a tall glass.
- Fill the glass with ice before adding gin.
- Top off with a splash of club soda to serve.
Maureen Petrosky: Today Show Honey Ginger Sparkler Recipe
You can’t have a New Year’s Eve drink menu without something sparkling. To make this a mocktail, simply leave out the champagne and add club soda instead.
- 1 oz Honey Ginger Syrup
- 3 oz Champagne (Brut, not Prosecco)
- Rock Candy Stirrers
Honey Ginger Syrup Ingredients
- 1/2 cup Clover Honey
- 2 whole Star Anise
- 1 strip Orange Peel
- 1/2 cup Water
- 1/2” peeled Ginger (sliced in coins)
- To make the syrup, combine ingredients in a saucepan.
- Simmer on medium high. Then lower heat and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Take off heat and let cool before straining out the spices.
- Use a bit of syrup to moisten the rim of each champagne flute.
- Rim the glasses with sugar.
- To assemble the cocktail, add 1 oz of syrup to each glass.
- Add rock candy stirrers to the glasses. Top with 3 oz Champagne.