Rachael Ray: Fish Tacos
Rachael Ray shared a simple way to make your own Beer-Battered Fish Tacos at home. The breading and frying process would also work well if you wanted to make your own fish sticks. Just do the steps that involve breading and frying before serving the fish sticks with tartar sauce and maybe some fries.
Rachael Ray: Sustainable White Fish
You could also use any type of fish you like in this recipe. Though Rach used Mahi Mahi, she also suggested Cod, Halibut, or Haddock. Any sustainable white fish will work well, and you can find sustainable fish in your area by visiting Seafood Watch.
Rachael Ray: Beer-Battered Fish Tacos Recipe Ingredients
- 1 tbsp Old Bay Seafood Seasoning
- 2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 beaten Egg
- 16 6” Corn Tortillas
- thin sliced Radishes
- crumbled Queso Fresco (or use Cotija)
- 1 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1 tbsp Chili Powder
- 1 12-oz bottle Blonde Beer
- 2 lb Mahi Mahi (cut in 3×1 sticks)
- 1/2 shredded White Cabbage
- Vegetable Oil
- Salt & Pepper
Chipotle Crema Ingredients
- 3 tbsp Chipotles in Adobo
- 1 cup Mexican Crema
- Juice of 1 Lime
- 1/2 fine chopped Red Onion
- 1/4 cup fine chopped Cilantro
- Juice of 1 Lime
- 2 seeded, fine chopped Jalapeno Peppers
- 4 chopped Plum Tomatoes
- 2 sliced Avocados
Rachael Ray: Beer-Battered Fish Tacos Recipe Directions
- Heat oil in a frying pan (or use a fryer) until it reaches 365 F.
- Whisk Old Bay with flour, garlic powder, chili powder, and 2 teaspoons each of salt and pepper.
- Whisk beer into the batter. Finally, add egg and mix it into the batter also.
- Dunk the fish into the batter and fry them in batches to reach a rich golden brown. Don’t let them stick together while they are frying!
- Salt the fish as soon as they come out of the oil.
- Keep cooked fish warm by resting them on a wire rack set into a rimmed baking sheet inside an oven on low heat.
- Char tortillas in a hot, dry skillet (or use the flame from the burner on your gas-powered stove).
- Use a food processor to combine the chipotles in adobo with crema, lime juice, and salt. Transfer this mixture to a bowl and reserve.
- Mix the onion with tomatoes, jalapenos, cilantro, and salt. Fold in avocado and lime juice.
- Serve fish with the tortillas, crema, guacamole, and your own favorite toppings.