Rachael Ray: Simple Stir-Fry
Rachael Ray used citrus to recreate a favorite take-out meal at home with her Broccoli & Tangerine Stir-Fry Beef recipe. Do you think you would like this delicious dish better with tangerines or blood oranges? The choice is yours.
Freezing the meat before slicing will help you get thinner slices. Slice against the grain at a bias.
Rachael Ray: Broccoli & Tangerine Stir-Fry Beef Recipe Ingredients
- 3/4 lb to 1 lb Flank Steak (halved lengthwise into 2 3”-wide steaks)
- 4 tbsp Tamari (or use Dark Soy Sauce)
- 1 1/2 tsp Cornstarch
- 1 bunch quartered Green Onions (whites thin slices, greens cut on a bias)
- 2 or 3 cloves chopped Garlic
- 1/2 tsp Sichuan Peppercorns (to taste; add more for more heat)
- 1 tbsp Hoisin Sauce
- 2 Tangerines (or use 1 Blood Orange)
- 2 trimmed bundles Broccolini
- 4 tbsp Dry Sherry
- 3 tbsp Stir-Fry Cooking Oil
- 1” peeled, grated Ginger Root
- 1 seeded, chopped Red Chili
- 1 1/2 tsp Light Brown Sugar
- 1 tbsp Black Bean Sauce
- 1 tsp toasted Sesame Oil
- California or Texmati White Basmati Rice
- chopped Smoked Almonds
- chopped Scallions
- chopped toasted Sesame Seeds
Rachael Ray: Broccoli & Tangerine Stir-Fry Beef Recipe Directions
- Boil about an inch and a half of water in a pot.
- Let meat rest in the freezer for about 15 minutes for easier slicing.
- Peel tangerines and remove pith. Drop into boiling water for one minute. Then remove and cut into very thin slices. Squeeze 1/4 cup of juice into a bowl and save it for later.
- Add salt to the orange-infused water on the stove. Parboil the broccolini for three to four minutes. Then cold shock it and discard the water.
- Chop broccolini into 2” pieces.
- Whisk tangerine juice with 1 tbsp sherry, 2 tbsp soy sauce, and cornstarch.
- Thinly slice steak against the grain. Toss with marinade and chill for 30 minutes.
- Heat 1 tbsp stir fry oil in a nonstick pan on high heat. Once oil is smoking, brown and caramelize half the beef. Then remove and transfer to a plate.
- Repeat the browning and caramelization process with another 1 tbsp oil and the remaining beef.
- Heat another 1 tbsp of oil and use it to stir-fry scallion whites with chili pepper, sliced tangerine, ginger, garlic, and peppercorns, for about one minute.
- Add the rest of the sherry, 2 tbsp soy, Hoisin sauce, light brown sugar, and black bean sauce.
- Heat everything through. Return broccolini to the pan and cook another minute or two.
- Return beef to the pan. Toss in scallion greens and let cook about a minute before taking off heat.
- Serve over rice. To make the rice, use chicken stock in place of water and cook according to package directions.