Rachael Ray: Buddy Valastro
Brownies exist in a unique space on the dessert landscape. They are not quite a cake, but not a pastry. They are also a treat that inspires fierce loyalty among fans. If you have been trying to perfect a recipe, you can give up now and use this one instead. When the Cake Boss, Buddy Valastro, shares his recipe for brownies with Rachael Ray, you know it is going to be good.
The frosting is optional. Do you like your brownies with or without frosting? I’m not a huge fan of overly frosted cakes, but something about a thin, chocolatey layer on top of a brownie really makes my mouth happy.
Buddy said the secret with cooking chocolate is not to overcook it. It can be hard to tell by sight, but he recommended erring on the side of undercooked rather than taking things too far. Wouldn’t you prefer a gooey brownie over a rock solid one?
Rachael Ray: Buddy Valastro Brownies Recipe Ingredients
- 1 cup Sugar (+1 tbsp)
- 4 Extra-Large Eggs
- 1 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup Unsalted Butter
- 2 cups Chocolate Syrup
- Nonstick Spray
Brownie Icing Ingredients
- 1 1/4 cups Sugar
- 6 tbsp Whole Milk
- 6 tbsp Unsalted Butter
- 1 cup Semisweet Chocolate Chips
Buddy Valastro: Rachael Ray Brownies Recipe Directions
- Preheat the oven at 325 F with a rack in the center position.
- Cream 1 cup of sugar with the butter in the bowl of a stand mixer, using the paddle attachment. Work up from low speed to medium over a few minutes.
- Add all the eggs together, paddling on low until blended in. This takes about a minute.
- Paddle in syrup about one minute. Keep paddling another minute on low. Then stop to scrape the sides.
- Add flour, paddling another minute before scraping the sides. Keep paddling on low until fully mixed.
- Prepare a 13” x 9” baking pan. Pour the batter into the pan.
- Bake about 30 minutes. The top should be crispy and the batter will start to pull away from the sides.
- Let brownies cool in the pan. Then sprinkle 1 tbsp sugar over them. Invert the brownie pan onto a sheet of parchment paper.
- Combine icing ingredients in a pot and stir while bringing to a boil on medium high.
- Take the pot off the heat. Whisk in chocolate to melt.
- Let the frosting cool a bit before using an offset spatula to frost the brownies.
- Cut brownies before serving.