Rachael Ray: Homemade Scones
Rachael Ray can’t bake, but she got a guest to show off a fun dessert recipe for Chocolate Almond Cherry Scones. Find out how you can customize the mix-ins to make them your own or use fresh and seasonal ingredients.
Doing the honors this time around was actor David Burtka, whom you may have seen on the red carpet with his husband, Neil Patrick Harris. Burtka said that one of their children loves to cook, and the other could not be less interested. What do you like to do with your kids in the kitchen?
Burtka and Ray agreed that it’s a great idea to expose children to a variety of food options from a young age, to help them develop broad and robust palates.
Rachael Ray: Chocolate Almond Cherry Scones Recipe Ingredients
You don’t want to use fresh ingredients as add-ins. Dried fruit would work well, but too much moisture will not give you the intended end result.
- 3 1/2 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 3/4 cup Buttermilk
- 3/4 cup Sugar
- 1 tbsp Baking Powder
- 8 oz cubed frozen Butter
- 3/4 cup Cream
- 1 3/4 cups Mix-Ins
Rachael Ray: Chocolate Almond Cherry Scones Recipe Directions
- Use the paddle attachment on a mixer to combine flour with salt, baking soda, sugar, and baking powder.
- Add the butter, mixing it in.
- Then add your choice of mix-ins, followed by cream and buttermilk.
- Stir well so everything is combined, but don’t over-mix the batter.
- Use a small scoop to form balls of dough on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Transfer them to the freezer for 10-15 minutes to help keep them loose before baking.
- Bake the scones for eight minutes at 325 F in a convection oven.
- Flip the scones over and cook them for eight more minutes, until brown.