Rachael Ray: Emeril Lagasse
Emeril Lagasse celebrated beloved chef Julia Child with Rachael Ray and Sunny Anderson. They paid tribute to her with her classic recipe for Pan-Fried Thin Burgers. Plus, Emeril shared his spin on Pommes Frites as a side dish option.
Emeril explained that the fries are first blanched before being refried just before serving time. As long as you’re going to the trouble to soak the potatoes overnight, why not prepare extras to use at another meal? You know you’ll wind up snacking on a few each time you cook them, so why not plan ahead and have plenty to enjoy?
Rachael Ray: Emeril Lagasse Pommes Frites Recipe Ingredients
- 6 peeled Russet Potatoes, cut in 1/4” x 1/4” batons (or use Kennebec Potatoes)
- Emeril’s Original Essence
- 2 quarts Peanut Oil
- Salt & Pepper
Emeril Lagasse: Rachael Ray Pommes Frites Recipe Directions
- Once you have cut the potatoes, rinse them under running cold water. Continue this until the water runs clear.
- Cover potatoes with water by one ince. Place ice over the top. Chill for 30 minutes up to one day.
- Heat oil in a deep fryer to 325 F.
- Drain the potatoes and wrap them in a clean towel to pat them dry.
- Working in handfuls, begin adding potatoes to the hot oil.
- Fry the potatoes, stirring them now and then, for around seven minutes, until they begin to take on a light golden color.
- Carefully remove hot fries from the oil and let them drain on paper towels.
- Let the fries rest for at least 10 minutes, up to two hours.
- At serving time, reheat the cooking oil to 350 F. Return blanched potatoes to hot oil for refrying. Stir often, until golden brown and puffy. This second time in the fryer should take three or four minutes.
- Season with salt, pepper, and Essence of Emeril. Serve immediately.