Rachael Ray: Potato Chip Breadcrumb Swap
Rachael Ray shared some family favorite recipes, like Grandma Ruthie’s Potato Chip Chicken, from guest Adam Perry Lang. For more inspiration from the past, look at Rachael’s own Mom’s Chicken Curry & Rice Pilaf or Michael Symon’s Mom’s Little Meatballs.
“Season every layer of your recipe,” Rachael advised as Adam walked us through the steps. HP Sauce is his wife’s favorite condiment, and it makes a good alternative to ketchup.
Potato chips are used as the breadcrumbs in this recipe. This calls for plain chips, but you could experiment with a favorite flavor if you like. My favorite part of this recipe is that you bake the leftover chip crumbs with the chicken, resulting in some crispy goodies at serving time. “The flavor of the chicken really goes into the potato chips,” Adam said.
Rachael Ray: Grandma Ruthie’s Potato Chip Chicken Recipe Ingredients
- 8 skin-on, boneless Chicken Breasts
- 1 1/2 cups Flour
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 6 Eggs
- 2 10-oz bags crushed plain Potato Chips
- HP Sauce
- 2 cups Canola Oil
- 2 tbsp Seasoned Salt
- 3 tbsp Black Pepper
Rachael Ray: Grandma Ruthie’s Potato Chip Chicken Recipe Directions
- Preheat the oven at 375 F and season chicken breasts using salt.
- Put the flour in a shallow bowl. Whisk eggs with milk in a second bowl. Mix crushed potato chips and black pepper in a third bowl.
- Coat chicken breast in flour, egg, and potato chips. Shake off excess at each step and press into the potato chips to ensure a firm, even coating.
- Heat 1 cup of canola oil on medium in a skillet. Add chicken, with the skin side down. Reduce heat to medium and brown for five or six minutes per side.
- Spread remaining potato chips in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet and place the breaded chicken breasts over them, spaced evenly apart.
- Bake about 15 minutes, or until chicken is fully cooked.
- Let rest five minutes before serving with HP sauce and roasted potato chip crumbles.