Rachael Ray: Fancy Hot Dogs
Rachael Ray dressed up a favorite kids meal with her Hot Dog Flautas recipe that even adults will love. This is sort of like pigs in a blanket, except full of fresh ingredients and great flavors. You can do this with any type of dog, so it’s easy to customize. Think turkey dogs, pork, beef franks, or even vegetarian/vegan dogs.
Bonus tip: you can turn this into a brunch entree by adding a poached or fried egg on top at serving time. Tell me how you would customize this recipe by leaving a comment.
Rachael Ray: Hot Dog Flautas Recipe Ingredients
- 5 good quality Hot Dogs
- 1 fine chopped Onion
- 2 seeded, chopped Serrano Peppers
- 1/2 cup Water
- 5 Corn Tortillas (or use Flour Tortillas)
- 2 fine chopped cloves Garlic
- 1 can Vegetarian Spicy Refried Beans
- 1 tsp ground Cumin
- 1 3/4 cups shredded Pepper Jack Cheese
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- Cooking Spray
Pico De Gallo Ingredients
- 1/2 fine chopped Red Onion
- 1 handful chopped Cilantro
- 1 seeded, fine chopped Serrano Pepper
- 3 seeded, chopped Plum Tomatoes
- 1/4 cup Mexican Crema
- chopped Lettuce
- 1 Hass Avocado with Lime Juice
- 1/4 cup Yellow Mustard
- sliced Pickled Jalapenos
Rachael Ray: Hot Dog Flautas Recipe Directions
- Heat an inch of water in a skillet on medium high. Once it boils, reduce to low and simmer the hot dogs until heated through.
- Heat a grill or grill pan on medium heat (or preheat the oven at 375 F).
- Heat oil in a skillet on medium high. Then add garlic with onions, Serranos, salt and pepper. Cook and stir a few minutes to soften.
- Add water and beans, stirring to mix; sprinkle in cumin.
- Heap beans onto the tortillas. Then add a layer of cheese.
- Shake excess water from the hot dogs. Place one in each tortilla. Then wrap and roll them.
- Spray with cooking spray and transfer to the grill, griddle, or oven. They are done when the tortillas are golden and their ends are crisp.
- To make the pico de gallo, combine red onions with Serranos and salt. Let stand a few minutes before adding tomatoes and cilantro.
- Stir crema with mustard.
- Serve each flauta on a bed of lettuce. Pass pico de gallo and pickled jalapenos at the table, along with mustard crema and lime avocado.