Rachael Ray: Grilled Watermelon
Watermelon is a fantastic summertime treat, and Rachael Ray invited an expert into her kitchen to show us all a fun way to use it. Jeanette Donnarumma was on hand to share this Italian-Style Grilled Watermelon Pizza recipe.
“You just want to get your grill marks on it,” Jeanette said of forming the “crust” from watermelon. You could mix this up like any other pizza and play around with the toppings. If Italian style doesn’t float your boat, try something else. A Mexican-style version might include cliantro, pepitas, Mexican crema, queso fresco, and whatever else you like. But the sky’s the limit.
“You can do it with any toppings you have in your fridge,” Jeanette said. Rachael pointed out that this recipe is versatile enough to be enjoyed for any meal of the day. When do you think you would make this Grilled Watermelon Pizza?
Rachael Ray: Jeanette Donnarumma Italian-Style Grilled Watermelon Pizza Recipe Ingredients
- 1 disc seedless Watermelon (1 1/2” thick)
- 6 thin slices Prosciutto
- 1 handful Arugula
- 11 thin slices Parmigiano-Reggiano Cheese
- Balsamic Drizzle
- Salt & Pepper
Jeanette Donnarumma: Rachael Ray Italian-Style Grilled Watermelon Pizza Recipe Directions
- Preheat a grill or grill pan.
- Once the grill or pan is hot, place the watermelon disc on it.
- Leave it in place for two or three minutes so that it will caramelize and get grill marks.
- Carefully flip the watermelon disc over and grill it on the other side for two or three minutes.
- Transfer watermelon to a cutting board to rest for five minutes.
- Salt and pepper the watermelon pizza crust. Then top it with Prosciutto, cheese, and arugula.
- Drizzle with balsamic drizzle. Slice into slices like a pizza and serve.