Rachael Ray: Quinoa with Soup
Kelsey Nixon visited Rachael Ray to share different ways to make Quinoa a powerhouse in your kitchen, including as part of a simple Lemon Chicken Quinoa Soup. You could also try her Pork and Apple Meatballs or Banana Chocolate Chip Cookies.
Soup is a great go-to meal, especially if you are cooking with the intention of making leftovers. “I love a little bit of fresh lemon and some lemon zest,” Kelsey said. Rachael agreed that adding citrus to chicken soup is a great idea.
Rachael Ray: Kelsey Nixon Lemon Chicken Quinoa Soup Recipe Ingredients
Rather than mixing the quinoa into the soup, Kelsey serves the soup over the quinoa. “Then it maintains that great consistency,” she said.
Rachael said this is similar to what you would do with rice or some pastas. “You know that that’s good and good for you,” Rachael said of the finished product.
- 2 peeled, diced Carrots
- 1 14.5-oz can Fire-Roasted Diced Tomatoes
- 1 cup frozen Petite Peas
- 2 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 2 cups cooked Quinoa
- 1 fine chopped Onion
- 2 cloves minced Garlic
- 4 cups low sodium Chicken Broth
- 2 cups shredded cooked Chicken
- 2 tsp Lemon Zest
- 2 tsp Thyme leaves
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
Kelsey Nixon: Rachael Ray Lemon Chicken Quinoa Soup Recipe Directions
- Place olive oil in a medium pot and heat on medium high.
- Saute the onions with carrots for about four minutes, or until aromatic.
- Add in the garlic and cook for about one minute; salt and pepper.
- Pour in chicken broth with tomatoes and let the pot come to a simmer.
- Cover and cook about 10 minutes. The carrots should become tender.
- Remove from heat. Add chicken with lemon juice and zest, peas, and thyme; salt and pepper.
- Place 1/2 cup cooked quinoa in each serving bowl. Ladle soup over the quinoa and serve.