Rachael Ray: Macaroni & Cheese
In a nod to tailgate season, Rachael Ray took a fun approach to an all-American classic. One bite of this Queso Dip Mac & Cheese Recipe will win you friends for life.
Sometimes you want to have a healthy meal, but usually those times are not when you are enjoying crisp fall weather and your favorite team playing football. Rachael’s idea was to turn macaroni and cheese into something like nachos, which is perfect for your next get-together.
“You ain’t getting this out of no box, people,” Rachael joked. It’s almost always better to make your own version when you have the time, don’t you think? Sound off in the comments.
Rachael Ray: Queso Dip Mac & Cheese Recipe Ingredients
- 3 tbsp Butter
- 2 fine chopped cloves Garlic
- 2 1/2 cups Whole Milk
- 1/2-3/4 lb shredded Smoked Yellow Cheddar (rind trimmed)
- 2 4-oz cans drained Diced Green Chiles
- 1 rounded tbsp Yellow Mustard
- 2 fine chopped Shallots
- 1 seeded, chopped Jalapeno
- 2 tbsp Cornstarch
- 6 oz Cream Cheese
- 1/3 lb shredded Sharp Yellow Cheddar
- 1 lb Elbow Macaroni
- Pico De Gallo (or use Salsa)
- 1 handful Tortilla Chips
- Salt & Pepper
Rachael Ray: Queso Dip Mac & Cheese Recipe Directions
- Boil a large pot of water in which to cook your pasta.
- Meanwhile, melt butter on medium heat in a saucepan. Add garlic with jalapeno and shallots.
- Cook and stir to soften for a few minutes; salt and pepper.
- Add cornstarch and milk, stirring well.
- Bring to bubbling. Stir in and melt cream cheese for around four minutes.
- Add the cheddar cheeses, stirring constantly in a figure 8 pattern for five minutes or so, until the cheeses have melted in.
- Add canned chiles; turn heat down to low.
- Salt the boiling water and add pasta. Cook to al dente.
- Stir mustard into your queso sauce. Take off heat.
- Drain pasta and toss it with the sauce. (Reserve a bit of pasta cooking water to add to the sauce; this will help everything bind together.)
- Serve garnished with pico de gallo and tortilla chips.