Rachael Ray: Southern-Style Slaw
Rachael Ray whipped up a crowd-pleaser of a burger night idea. Her concept for this recipe was Chili Burgers with Southern-Style Slaw, Mustard, and Onions. If that makes your mouth water, get ready to save this one on Pinterest.
“We’re going to go Southern style,” Rachael said as she piled raw onion, mustard, and slaw high atop the loaded burger patty. “That’s what I call a holiday on a plate.”
Tell me what you would add or subtract to customize Rachael’s burger recipe to your liking.
Rachael Ray: Southern-Style Chili Burgers Recipe Ingredients
- 2 tbsp Fine Sugar
- 3 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 1 grated Carrot
- 1 lb Ground Beef (or use Ground Turkey)
- 1/4 cup grated Onion
- 1/2 tbsp ground Cumin
- 2 drained 4-oz cans Green Chilies
- 4 slices Monterey Jack Cheese (or use White American Cheese)
- 3 tbsp Cider Vinegar
- 1 tsp Celery Salt
- 2 cups shredded Cabbage
- 2 grated cloves Garlic
- 1/2 tbsp Green Chili Powder
- 1/2 cup chopped Cilantro
- 4 slices Pepper Jack Cheese
- 4 split, toasted Brioche Rolls
- chopped raw Onion
- Yellow Mustard
- Salt & Pepper
Rachael Ray: Southern-Style Chili Burgers Recipe Directions
- Whisk sugar with vinegar, celery salt, and 2 tbsp oil in a mixing bowl.
- Toss cabbage and carrot into the bowl and mix everything well.
- Combine meat with garlic, cumin, onion, chili powder, green chilies, cilantro, salt and pepper. Form the mixture into four patties with thin centers and thick edges.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil on medium high in a skillet. Cook patties for seven to nine minutes per side, turning once or twice during cooking.
- Melt one slice of each cheese over every patty during the final minutes of cooking.
- Place each patty on a toasted roll. Layer with slaw, mustard, and onions to serve.