Rachael Ray: Simple Vegetarian Dinner
Rachael Ray shared a recipe for Zucchini, Tomato and Potato Pie that she learned from her mother. It’s layered with delicious seasoned vegetables, and you will find olive oil, salt and pepper in every single layer.
Make it ahead and serve it at room temperature. Use a breadcrumb mixture as outlined in the recipe, or skip the step to make it even more healthy for you. If you do use the breadcrumbs, don’t be afraid to press it down tightly over the top vegetable layer.
If you want to serve this as a side dish with meat, use steak seasoning or another spice option throughout this dish, in place of the salt and pepper.
Rachael Ray: Zucchini, Tomato and Potato Pie Recipe Ingredients
Though the cooking time is 90 minutes, you should check on your casserole during cooking. The casserole should be a deep golden brown, with a nutty aroma. Resting and cooling the finished product is key before serving time. “It’s just even more delicious if you can be patient enough to wait those few minutes extra,” Rachael said.
- 4 tbsp melted Butter
- 4 or 5 peeled, thin sliced Potatoes
- 1 3/4 cups grated stale Bread
- 1/4 cup chopped Parsley
- 1 thin sliced Onion
- 4 Vine Tomatoes
- 3/4 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano Cheese
- 5 or 6 firm, thin sliced Zucchini
- 6 thin sliced cloves Garlic
- 2 tbsp chopped Thyme
- 4 tbsp Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
Rachael Ray: Zucchini, Tomato and Potato Pie Recipe Directions
- Preheat the oven at 375 F.
- Place 2 tbsp butter and 2 tbsp olive oil in a casserole dish.
- Arrange potato slices in a circular pattern, with each one slightly overlapping the next. Gently press down into place once you have an even layer of potatoes; salt and pepper.
- Roast in the oven for about 20 minutes; take out and let rest.
- Mix breadcrumbs with parsley, cheese, 2 tbsp butter, salt and pepper.
- Shingle 1/3 of the zucchini over the potatoes, followed by 1/3 of the onion-garlic mixture. Top with olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Arrange another layer of zucchini in a different direction, followed by onions and garlic.
- Finish with a third and final layer of zucchini.
- Mark each tomato’s skin with an x and place them in a pot of boiling water for just one minute. Transfer to an ice bath to cold shock and stop cooking.
- Let tomatoes cool before peeling and slicing them.
- Place the tomato slices over the zucchini. Top the casserole with the breadcrumb mix.
- Cover the casserole dish with a sheet of parchment paper and bake for 90 minutes.
- Let rest for one hour before slicing and serving at room temperature.
Leave a Reply