The Talk: Aarti Sequeira
Sequeira is also the author of an upcoming Associated Press column, World’s Fair. She will be teaching readers how to use international supermarket ingredients in home cooking. Look for it in your local newspaper.
The Talk: Aarti Sequeira Warm Turmeric Milk Recipe
This warm dessert drink contains Turmeric and it tastes great. Aarti said this is healing, so it can be good if you can’t sleep or have a cough. You could substitute dairy milk instead of almond milk if you like. Add some fresh nutmeg to the drink if you need something to help you sleep.
- 2 cups Unsweetened Almond Milk
- 1 tsp Coconut Oil
- 1/2 tsp ground Turmeric
- 3 tsp Honey
- 1/2 tsp grated Ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground Cinnamon
- Black Pepper
- Warm almond milk on medium heat in a saucepan.
- Add the honey with ginger, cinnamon, coconut oil, turmeric, and black pepper.
- Let simmer and whisk regularly during cooking.
- Adjust seasonings to your taste.
- Remove from heat and let rest for five minutes.
- Strain and serve.
The Talk: Aarti Sequeira Salad with Turmeric Dressing Recipe
Here is a way you can incorporate Turmeric into a simple salad dressing.
- 3/4 cup whisked Tahini
- 1/2 cup Lemon Juice
- 1 tbsp Honey (or use Agave)
- 2 cloves chopped Garlic
- 3/4 cup Hot Water
- 2 1/2 tsp ground Turmeric
- toasted Sesame Seeds and/or chopped Cilantro (to garnish)
- 2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
- Combine ingredients in a blender until they come to a smooth consistency.
- Use hot water to adjust the consistency if needed.
- Adjust seasonings to taste and serve.
The Talk: Aarti Sequeira Coconut Turmeric Rice Recipe Ingredients
Use Turmeric to make rice with this bonus recipe from Aarti.
- 9 oz canned Coconut Milk
- 1 cup rinsed Basmati Rice
- 1/2 Cinnamon Stick
- 1/4 tsp ground Turmeric
- 5 oz Hot Water
- 1 tbsp Ghee (or use Unsalted Butter)
- 1 crushed Green Cardamom Pod
- 1/2 tsp Salt
Aarti Sequeira: The Talk Coconut Turmeric Rice Recipe Directions
- Stir water with coconut milk and reserve.
- Warm the ghee on medium high in a saucepan. Add cinnamon and cardamom. Cook until aromatic.
- Drain the rice and add it to the pan. Also put in the turmeric. Saute until rice it is toasted and has a nutty aroma.
- Pour in the coconut mixture and add salt. Stir and let boil.
- Cover and reduce heat to low, cooking for 13-14 minutes.
- Remove the lid and take out the cinnamon and cardamom.
- Use a fork to fluff the rice and take it off the heat.
- Place a clean towel over the pan and cover it with the lid. Let rest for about eight minutes before serving.