The Talk: Chef David LeFevre
Chef David LeFevre, owner of California’s M.B. Post and Fishing with Dynamite, visited The Talk with a delicious brunch idea for Ricotta Stuffed Cinnamon French Toast. You can wash this down with the Pushing Daisies Cocktail.
David also recommended preparing bacon in the oven at 350 F, because it cooks evenly and you don’t have to watch it as carefully. Then sprinkle it with brown sugar before serving it.
The Talk: David LeFevre Ricotta Stuffed Cinnamon French Toast Recipe Ingredients
David used cinnamon bread, but you can use anything you like. Consider substituting mascarpone or cream cheese instead of ricotta for a fun variation. Though pears were used here, you can customize this recipe to use whatever fruit is in season throughout the year.
- 8 slices Cinnamon Raisin Bread
- 1/2 cup candied Pecans
- 1 cup Whipped Cream
- 2 cups Ricotta Cheese
- 1/2 cup Maple Syrup
- 3 tbsp Unsalted Butter
Egg Batter Ingredients
- 7 Eggs
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 1 tbsp ground Cinnamon
Pear Topping Ingredients
- 2 firm, ripe Bosc Pears (or use Bartlett Pears)
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1/2 cup White Wine
- 2 cups Water
- 2 Cinnamon Sticks
Whipped Cream Ingredients
- 2 tbsp Sugar
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
David LeFevre: The Talk Ricotta Stuffed Cinnamon French Toast Recipe Directions
- Mix egg batter ingredients together with a whisk and set aside.
- Core the pears using a melon baller. Peel the pears but leave their stems in place.
- Boil water and wine for the pear topping in a saucepan, simmering for a few minutes.
- Add pears and simmer for 11-14 minutes, flipping once or twice, until tender but not shapeless.
- Remove pears with a slotted spoon and let them rest on a plate; reserve and chill the poaching liquid.
- Halve the pears and cut them into 1/8” slices.
- Use a chilled metal bowl and whisk to combine sugar with cream for the whipped cream. Whisk into stiff peaks and reserve.
- Spread ricotta evenly on one side of the cinnamon raisin bread. Place another slice over this to form a sandwich with the ricotta in the center.
- Dip the bread in the egg batter and brown on medium heat.
- Top with poached pear slices, reserved poaching liquid, maple syrup, pecans, and whipped cream.