The Chew: Clinton Kelly
Clinton Kelly whipped up a delicious Caramelized Onions and Sausage Puff recipe on The Chew, which is his version of something called a Bagel Dog. A Bagel Dog is a bagel with a hot dog in it, which is apparently very common in New Jersey, but uncommon where I’m from. I was blown away with this recipe, which is a puff pastry with caramelized onion and chicken apple sausage links inside. It’s somewhere between a Hot Pocket and a hot dog, which are both delicious. The best part is that you can cook a big batch in advance and freeze them to use them as you need them. They’re perfect for school lunches!
Check out my attempt to reproduce this recipe below!
The Chew: Clinton Kelly Caramelized Onions and Sausage Puffs Recipe Ingredients
- 2 Large Yellow Onions (Chopped)
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- 1 Sheet Puff Pastry (Thawed)
- 1 Egg + 1 Tablespoon Water (Whisked)
- 4 Chicken Apple Sausage Links (Cooked, Halved Lengthwise)
- Poppy Seeds (to Garnish)
- Olive Oil
Clinton Kelly: The Chew Caramelized Onions and Sausage Puffs Recipe Directions
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Add a drizzle of olive oil to a saute pan and bring to medium high heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned and caramelized, about 10 to 15 minutes. The longer you take, though, the more caramelized they’ll be and the more deliciousness they’ll add to the dish.
- Cut the puff pastry into 8 different rectangles.
- Add a strip of caramelized onions to the center of each rectangle in a line. Top with a half of sausage, cut side up.
- Wrap the puff pastry around the sausage and pinch together with your fingers.
- On a parchment paper-lined baking sheet, set each puff seam-side down. Brush the egg wash onto each log and top with some kosher salt and poppy seeds.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes until puffed and golden.
- Serve immediately while still warm or freeze them so you can reheat them in the microwave later. Enjoy!