The Chew: Pre-Assembled Brunch Casserole
Carla Hall shared a delicious idea that would work as a breakfast or brunch idea on The Chew. This Make-Ahead Mexican Strata will help you get a delicious meal ready for the morning, without having to do all the prep on that same day.
Anytime you can get some savory goodness onto my plate in the morning, I am a fan of your efforts. Do you like breakfast better when it is savory or sweet? Tell me in the comments.
The Chew: Carla Hall Make-Ahead Mexican Strata Recipe Ingredients
- 1 loaf Cornbread (see below)
- 2 cups Milk
- 1 tsp chopped Oregano
- 1 seeded, thin sliced Jalapeno
- 2 cups grated Cheddar Cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped Cilantro
- 12 Eggs
- 1/2 tsp Cumin
- 1 cup halved Cherry Tomatoes
- 1 drained, rinsed 15-oz can Black Beans
- 1 cup crumbled Cotija Cheese
- Salt & Pepper
Flourless Cornbread Ingredients
- 2 cups Yellow Cornmeal
- 4 tsp Baking Powder
- 3 Eggs
- 1/4 cup Sour Cream
- 2 tbsp Sugar
- 1/2 cup canned Evaporated Milk
- 1 cup canned Cream Style Corn
- 1 tsp Salt
Carla Hall: The Chew Make-Ahead Mexican Strata Recipe Directions
- Preheat the oven at 400 F.
- Use butter to prepare a 9” x 13” baking dish.
- Break the cornbread into cubes and arrange them on a baking sheet. Toast in the oven for around 11 minutes.
- On a second baking sheet, toast crumbs for around nine minutes. Let cornbread cool completely.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs with cumin, oregano, and milk; salt and pepper.
- Next, add black beans, jalapenos, cheese, and toasted cornbread cubes, stirring well.
- Pour this mixture into the baking dish, making sure to press the cornbread into the egg batter.
- Cover with foil and bake about half an hour, or until the eggs are set. Remove foil and bake another 15 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Let cool slightly out of the oven. Garnish with cornbread crumbs, cilantro, and cotija cheese.
Flourless Cornbread Directions
- Preheat the oven at 425 F and put a cast iron skillet inside.
- Combine dry ingredients in a bowl. In a smaller bowl, mix the wet ingredients.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and stir until smooth.
- Add 2 tbsp oil to the hot skillet. Pour batter into the skillet.
- Bake 20-25 minutes.
Leave a Reply