The Chew: Stone Fruit Trifle
On The Chew, Carla Hall showed one lucky audience member how to make a delicious dessert using fresh ingredients from the farmer’s market, plus a few shortcuts that help you pull things off. Check out her Summer Fruit Napoleon Trifle recipe.
The young woman who cooked with Carla doesn’t know a thing about baking, even though she used to work in a bakery! What recipe category gives you the most trouble? Tell me what kitchen challenge you are confronting by leaving me a comment.
The Chew: Carla Hall Summer Fruit Napoleon Trifle Recipe Ingredients
- 3 disks store-bought Pie Crust (cut into 7” circles)
- 1 tbsp granulated Sugar
- 1 beaten Egg
- 1 tsp ground Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
Stone Fruit Compote Ingredients
- 1 cup store-bought Tart Red Plum Jam
- 1 1/2 lb pitted, chopped Plums
- Zest & Juice of 2 Lemons
- 1 1/2 lb pitted, peeled, chopped Yellow Peaches
- 1 1/2 lb pitted, chopped Nectarines
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
Whipped Cream Ingredients
- 3 cups Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 cup Confectioner’s Sugar
- 1/2 cup toasted Almonds
- 1/2 cup dried Cherries
- 1/2 cup sliced dried Apricots
- 1/2 cup candied Pecans
- 1/2 cup pitted, quartered Dates
Carla Hall: The Chew Summer Fruit Napoleon Trifle Recipe Directions
- Start with the pie crusts. Preheat your oven to 375 F.
- Use parchment paper to line three baking sheets.
- Cut your dough so that it fits the diameter of your trifle dish. Place one dough disk on each baking sheet.
- Brush each with egg wash. Then sprinkle cinnamon, sugar, and pepper over each crust.
- Bake the crusts for 15-20 minutes. Let cool completely.
- Heat jam on medium in a saucepan.
- Add the nectarines with plums, peaches, lemon zest and juice, sugar, and pepper.
- Bring to a low simmer, cooking until the fruits begin to break down. You want them still a little chunky, and this will take 35-45 minutes to achieve. Let cool completely in a bowl before using.
Whipped Cream Directions
- Use the whisk attachment on a stand mixer to whip your whipping cream on low to medium speed.
- Work in confectioner’s sugar with vanilla extra and form soft peaks.
- Put 2 cups of compote in the bottom of your trifle dish. Add 2 cups whipped cream and top with a pie crust.
- Repeat these layers two more times.
- Top with whipped cream and your choice of topping options.
Leave a Reply