The Chew: Sneaky Vegetable Snack
Daphne Oz shared a family-friendly snack idea that will get your kids to enjoy their vegetables, maybe without even realizing it. On The Chew, she made Turkey Broccoli Cheddar Balls. It’s great that you can make these in advance, because then you just have to reheat and serve them when you need a quick dinner after a long day.
Daphne suggested growing your own vegetables in a small garden at home, which could get your children excited about eating what they have helped to grow. Michael Symon agreed that this can help to make kids less afraid of trying new foods.
Since she is expecting baby #2 before long, Daphne will need all the help she can get when it comes to getting her kids to eat healthy meals. Tell me your favorite tips and tricks for getting children to enjoy vegetables.
According to Daphne, this recipe was born when her young daughter suddenly refused to eat broccoli. She added that this recipe won’t be dry, which can be a concern when it comes to turkey meatballs.
The Chew: Daphne Oz Turkey Broccoli Cheddar Balls Recipe Ingredients
- 1 lb Ground Turkey
- 3/4 cup Whole Wheat Panko Breadcrumbs
- 2 cloves peeled, minced Garlic
- 1/2 cup grated Cheddar Cheese
- 1 beaten Egg
- 1/2 cup grated Onion
- 1 cup fine chopped Broccoli
- 1/4 cup chopped Parsley
- Salt & Pepper
Daphne Oz: The Chew Turkey Broccoli Cheddar Balls Recipe Directions
- Preheat the oven at 400 F.
- Use foil to line a baking sheet. Spray the foil with cooking spray.
- In a mixing bowl, combine turkey with breadcrumbs, garlic, cheddar, egg, onion, broccoli, and parsley. Mix well.
- Season the mixture with salt and pepper.
- Shape this into golf-ball sized portions and arrange them evenly on the baking sheet.
- Bake about 15-20 minutes, until fully cooked.
I love this recipe but most of the time, I substitute broccoli stems for the broccoli. I add some carrots, and mustard. I also use Jalapeño Montery Jack Cheese. I put a lot in the cuisinart to grate them. It turns out great!