The Chew: Mario Batali Breakfast Mystery Challenge
The Chew crew challenged Mario Batali to make a delicious breakfast recipe including maple syrup, ham steak, and raisin bread. Mario made an amazing Ham Steak Raisin Bread Breakfast Sandwiches recipe on The Chew that’s the perfect addition to your morning.
The ease with which he threw these ingredients together really shows how fun and simple it can be to cook a delicious, gourmet breakfast without much stretching of the imagination. If you don’t have raisin bread or ham steaks, substitute the meats and bread you do have. Have fun with it and enjoy!
Check out my attempt to reproduce this recipe below!
The Chew: Mario Batali Ham Steak Raisin Bread Breakfast Sandwiches Recipe Ingredients
- 2 Ham Steaks
- 10 Slices Raisin Bread (Toasted)
- 2 Bell Peppers (Chopped)
- 1 Shallot (Chopped)
- 1 Jalapeno (Chopped)
- Dash of Red Wine Vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons Dijon Mustard
- 2 Tablespoons Maple Syrup
- Tabasco Sauce (To Taste)
- Grated Fontina Cheese (To Taste)
Mario Batali: The Chew Recipe Directions
- Add a drizzle of olive oil to a skillet and bring it to medium high heat. Then add the ham steaks and cook until nicely golden brown and slightly caramelized on both sides, about 2 to 3 minutes. Drizzle with the hot sauce near the end. Then chop the ham steak into thin slices.
- In another skillet, add a drizzle of olive oil and cook the shallot, jalapeno, pinch of salt, dash of hot sauce, dash of red wine vinegar, and bell peppers until fork tender and starting to caramelize, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Stir together the mustard and maple syrup in a small bowl. Toss this mixture with the arugula and salt and pepper.
- Add some of the grated fontina cheese onto the bottom slice of raisin bread. Top with some of the peppers, the ham, and the arugula. If desired, reserve some of the mixture and spread it on the top slice so that you have some extra flavor in every bite.