The Chew: Mario Batali Ham & Grilled Cheese Recipe
Mario Batali made a great Ham & Grilled Cheese recipe on The Chew, which he made in competition with Michael Symon’s Late Night Salami Sandwich recipe. Although it seemed like the Taster of the Day preferred Michael Symon’s sandwich recipe, this one looked excellent, too.
Both chefs called their sandwiches “late night” sandwiches, which means when you get hungry at midnight and need a quick sandwich, both of these recipes can be made quickly and with little effort. But what they lack in effort, they make up for in huge taste.
Check out my attempt to reproduce this great recipe below! And be sure to let us know what you think of this recipe in the comments!
The Chew: Mario Batali Ham & Grilled Cheese Recipe Directions
- 1 Tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Tablespoon Butter
- Large Yellow Onions (Sliced)
- 1 Pinch of Saffron
- 2 Slices Crusty Italian Bread (1/2 Inch Slices)
- 2 Tablespoons Dijon Mustard
- 1/4 Cup Grated Manchego Cheese
- 3-4 Slices Thinly Sliced Serrano Ham
- 2-3 Piquillo Peppers (Cut to Lay Flat)
- Kosher Salt
- Black Pepper
Mario Batali: The Chew Ham & Grilled Cheese Recipe Ingredients
- Add a drizzle of olive oil to a saute pan and bring to medium heat.
- Add the onions and cook until caramelized, about 10 to 15 minutes, adding saffron halfway through.
- Smear a slice of bread with the mustard. Then add the onions on top. You want there to be about 50 percent onions to everything else. Top with the ham, piquillo peppers, cheese, salt, and pepper.
- Add the butter to the same saute pan you cooked the onions in and bring the pan to medium heat. Add the sandwich and set something heavy on top to really get the sandwich toasted, such as a cutting board. Toast for 1 to 2 minutes on both sides.
- Half in half, serve, and enjoy!
Leave a Reply