The Chew: Michael Symon Slow Cooker
Michael Symon made a great Slow Cooked Beef & Vegetable Stew recipe on The Chew. He also talked about the virtues of the slow cooker and how great it is for hosting parties, since most of the work is done so far in advance.
Check out my attempt to reproduce Michael Symon’s Slow Cooked Beef & Vegetable Stew recipe below!
The Chew: Michael Symon Slow Cooked Beef & Vegetable Stew Recipe Ingredients
- 2 pounds Beef Chuck (cut into 1 inch cubes)
- ¼ cup Flour
- Kosher Salt
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Paprika
- Olive Oil
- 2 small Onions (cut into 1 inch cubes)
- 2 cloves Garlic (sliced)
- 4 sprigs Rosemary
- 6 sprigs Thyme
- 2 cups Carrots (cut into 1 inch cubes)
- 1 cup Celery Root (peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes)
- 1 cup Butternut Squash (peeled, seeded, cut into 1 inch cubes)
- 1 cup Parsnips (peeled, cut into 1 inch cubes)
- 1/2 cup Whole Peeled Tomatoes (crushed)
- 1/2 cup Dry Red Wine
- 2 cups Low Sodium Beef Broth
Michael Symon: The Chew Slow Cooked Beef & Vegetable Stew Directions
- Michael Symon said there are two ways to cook this recipe. You can just toss everything in the slow cooker and walk away for 4 to 6 hours to find a pot of deliciousness, or you can spend a little more time to make something even more delicious.
- To make it even better, start by combining the flour with 1/2 teaspoon of salt and freshly cracked pepper. Dredge the meat in this flour mixture and shake off any excess.
- Bring a drizzle of oil to medium heat in a large pot and then add the beef. Sear it golden brown on all sides. It’s okay if it’s not completely cooked through, since it will be in a slow cooker. But make sure to have a nice sear on there.
- Add the onion and garlic to the slow cooker and sweat it for two minutes, then add the celery root, butternut squash, carrots, and the parsnips.
- Deglaze your beef pot with the wine and really scrape the bottom to get up the brown stuff. There’s flavor in the brown, so you really want that to be a part of it. Pour the beef, the brown stuff, and the wine into the slow cooker, along with the tomatoes and beef broth.
- Make a bundle out of the rosemary and thyme with kitchen twine and add it to the slow cooker as well. Cover with a lid and cook for 4 to 6 hours.
- Remove the spice bundle and discard and enjoy your delicious soup! Serve warm.