The Chew: Michael Symon
The Chew co-host and chef Michael Symon let the fruits of the season take center stage when he prepared this light meal idea, a Summer Garden Salad. What is your favorite summer produce? I’m torn between corn and tomatoes, but I want to know what you love, so leave me a comment.
You could create a fun take on this for almost any season, depending on what is fresh in your garden, at the farmer’s market, or in the produce aisle at your favorite store. “It’s simple, it’s clean, and it’s easy,” Symon said.
Bulgur is a key ingredient here because it helps to bulk up the dish, which happens to be vegetarian.
The Chew: Michael Symon Summer Garden Salad Recipe Ingredients
- 1/2 cup rinsed Bulgur
- 2 seeded, fine chopped Serrano Chiles
- 2 tbsp Pine Nuts
- 1/4 cup Dry White Wine
- 1/2 cup thin sliced Scallions
- 1/3 cup crumbled Feta
- 3/4 cup Water
- 1/2 lb peeled, diced Japanese Eggplant
- 2 cloves fine chopped Garlic
- 1/4 cup Golden Raisins
- 1/2 cup Lemon Juice & Zest
- 1 cup diced Cucumber
- 1/2 cup fine chopped Mint
- 1/2 cup Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
Michael Symon: The Chew Summer Garden Salad Recipe Directions
- Add a pinch of salt to the water and bring it to a boil in a pot.
- Add bulgur to the boiling water. Reduce to simmering, and cook the bulgur for about 11 minutes. Then let it cool in a large mixing bowl.
- Heat 1/4 cup olive oil on medium high in a saute pan. Salt and saute the eggplant for four to six minutes, until it starts to soften.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add pine nuts with garlic and chiles. Let toast for about two minutes.
- Add raisins with wine. Cook another minute or so.
- Add the eggplant mixture to the bulgur. Add in lemon juice and zest with 1/4 cup olive oil.
- Stir in cucumber, scallions, feta, and mint, until everything is well-tossed; salt and pepper.
Leave a Reply