The Chew: Joel McHale
The Soup host and Community veteran Joel McHale came by The Chew to talk about the possibility of a Community movie and to help Clinton Kelly make a nice Rye Whiskey Splash recipe, complete with a nice ginger simple syrup called a Ginger Shrub. This is a fun drink that’s perfect for getting silly on the weekend or taking the edge off after a long day of work.
Check out my attempt to reproduce this recipe below. And be sure to let us know what you think of this recipe in the comments below!
The Chew: Clinton Kelly Rye Whiskey Splash Recipe Ingredients
- 2 Fluid Ounces Rye Whiskey
- 1 Fluid Ounces Ginger Shrub
- Splash of Soda Water
- Lemon Peel (For Garnish)
Ginger Shrub Ingredients
- 8 Ounces Superfine Sugar
- 8 Fluid Ounces Water
- 4 Ounces Ginger (Peeled; Cut into 1/2 Inch Pieces)
- 8 Fluid Ounces Apple Cider Vinegar
Clinton Kelly: The Chew Rye Whiskey Splash Recipe Directions
- Start by making the Ginger Shrub. Combine the sugar and water in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Stir in the ginger, and lower the heat. Cook on a simmer for about 10 minutes, until the sugar is dissolved and the ginger flavor permeates the liquid.
- Take off the heat and stir in the apple cider vinegar. Let the mixture cool so the vinegar flavor is infused into the liquid, then strain the solids out and pour the liquid into a jar. Store any leftover of this liquid in the fridge. If you leave the liquid in the fridge for a few hours before using, the flavors will have an even longer time to mingle.
- In a shaker with ice, combine 2 ounces whiskey and 1 ounce ginger shrub.
- Strain into a glass over ice.
- Add a splash of club soda and garnish with a lemon peel.
- Serve and enjoy!