The Chew: Clinton Kelly Seared Trout Recipe
Check out my attempt to reproduce this recipe below! And be sure to let us know what you think of this recipe in the comments below!
The Chew: Clinton Kelly Seared Trout with a Cherry Quinoa Salad Recipe Ingredients
Seared Trout Ingredients
- 6 Trout Fillets (About 5 Ounces Each, Skin-On; Scored)
- 1/2 Cup Dry White Wine
- 1/4 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil (Divided)
- 2 Cloves Garlic (Smashed)
- Zest of 1 Orange
- 2 Tablespoons Tarragon Leaves (Torn)
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
Cherry Quinoa Salad Ingredients
- 1/2 Cup Red Quinoa (Rinsed)
- 3/4 Cup Water
- 1 1/2 Cups Cherries (Pitted; Halved)
- 1/4 Cup Almonds (Toasted; Chopped)
- 1/2 Cup Scallions (Sliced)
- 2 Cups Baby Arugula
- 2 Tablespoons Fresh Tarragon Leaves (Chopped)
- 1/2 Orange (Juiced)
- 1 Tablespoon Honey
- 1/4 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Kosher Salt
- Black Pepper
Clinton Kelly: The Chew Seared Trout with a Cherry Quinoa Salad Recipe Directions
- Start by making the marinade. Mix together the olive oil, white wine, garlic, orange zest, and tarragon in a baking dish. Add salt and pepper to taste. Reserve about two tablespoons of the mixture and set aside. Add the trout to the marinade. Marinate for at least 20 minutes and up to 2 hours.
- Add the butter and olive oil to a saute pan and bring to medium high heat. Cook until it’s all melted.
- Remove the trout from the marinade and pat down both sides with paper towel. The skin side especially needs to be dry before cooking. Score the skin side and then place the trout in the saute pan skin-side down. Make sure to put it down away from you so you don’t get burned from a splash. Because the trout is so thin, it should cook very quickly. As it cooks, use a spoon to baste the top. Once the skin side is nice and crispy, flip it and continue to cook for about 30 seconds. The entire cooking time should only last about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Toast the quinoa for a minute or two in a saute pan over medium high heat with olive oil. Then cook the quinoa according to package directions.
- Toss the quinoa in a large bowl with cherries, almonds, scallions, tarragon, orange juice, honey, olive oil, salt, pepper, and arugula.
- Serve your trout on a bed of the cherry quinoa salad in a bowl or a plate. Drizzle the reserved marinade over the whole thing.