The Talk: Chef Curtis Stone
Curtis Stone showed the women of The Talk how to make a batch of a dessert that is always too cool: gelato. Try his Fresh Mint Chip Gelato Recipe, or get his Lemongrass Chicken Wings from this episode.
“If you want to cheat and go ahead and buy good quality mint ice cream, that’s okay,” Curtis said. That’s because the ice cream portion is just the base. The real magic happens when you introduce the melted chocolate.
If you could only eat one flavor of Gelato for the rest of your life, what would you choose? Tell me in the comments.
The Talk: Curtis Stone Fresh Mint Chip Gelato Recipe Ingredients
- 1 cup Sugar
- 2 cups Heavy Cream
- 6 sprigs fresh Mint
- 2 tbsp Cornstarch
- 2 cups Whole Milk
- 4 oz chopped 70% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate
Curtis Stone: The Talk Fresh Mint Chip Gelato Recipe Directions
- Blend cornstarch and sugar in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Next, whisk in cream with milk. Stir constantly for about 10 minutes, or until it starts to bubble.
- Transfer to a heatproof bowl and add the mint. Place the bowl over a second bowl filled with ice water for quick cooling. Stir as needed. Remove and discard the mint after five minutes.
- Cover the mint cream and chill it for at least four hours. It needs to be completely cold before your next step.
- Freeze the mint cream using an ice cream maker. Follow your ice cream maker’s directions, because each appliance can be different.
- Set chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a simmering pan of water. Stir the chocolate until it has completely melted.
- Remove chocolate from the heat and let it cool until just warm but still pliable.
- Place gelato in a large mixing bowl set over a bowl of ice.
- Quickly drizzle chocolate into the gelato while stirring or whisking constantly. The chocolate will flake as it hits the gelato, creating specks throughout the dessert. For larger chunks, stir in the chocolate using a wooden spoon.
- Serve immediately, or freeze in a sealed container until firm.