The Talk: Gesine Bullock-Prado
Gesine called this fruit tart “one of my favorite things to do in the summertime. “It’s like art without all the work,” she said. What kinds of fruit do you think would taste best? You get to choose your own variety of mixed berries.
The Talk: Gesine Bullock-Prado Fruit Tart Recipe Ingredients
- 1/2 batch Flaky Pie Crust Dough
- 1 batch hot Pastry Cream
- 2 pints Mixed Berries
- 1/4 cup seedless Red Berry Preserves
- 2 peeled, thin sliced Kiwi
- 2 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup Ice Cold Water
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 1 cup cubed, chilled Unsalted Butter
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp Salt
Pastry Cream Ingredients
- 6 Egg Yolks
- 1/4 cup Cornstarch
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- 1 tbsp Vanilla Bean Paste (or use Vanilla Extract)
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1 pinch Salt
- 1 cup Whole Milk
- 2 tbsp room temperature Unsalted Butter
Gesine Bullock-Prado: The Talk Fruit Tart Recipe Directions
- Pulse sugar with flour and salt in the bowl of a food processor. Then pulse in butter until it gets to the consistency of cornmeal.
- Stream in water and lemon juice while pulsing, until the dough starts to bring itself together.
- Divide the dough in half once you remove it from the processor. Form each half into a disk shape and wrap them both in plastic wrap. You only need one disk for this recipe, so freeze one disk for future use, and place the other in the fridge to chill for about 20 minutes.
- Whisk egg yolks with cornstarch, sugar, and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer. Keep working until it’s pale and smooth.
- Pour cream into a heavy saucepan. Add milk with vanilla and simmer.
- Turn the mixer on medium speed and slowly stream in the hot milk mixture. Whisk until mixed in.
- Transfer the liquid back to the saucepan. Whisk on medium low until it thickens like mayonnaise.
- Take pastry cream off heat. Whisk in butter.
- Transfer cream to a large bowl. Cover with plastic wrap against the surface to prevent a skin from forming. Chill in the fridge for up to two hours. Whisk until smooth before using.
- Preheat the oven at 350 F.
- Roll dough out into a 12” round and fit the dough into a 9” pie pan. Crimp the edges in place. Freeze about 20 minutes.
- Line the pan with parchment and use pie weights to parbake the crust for 15 minutes.
- Remove the weights and bake the crust another 15-20 minutes, until golden brown. Let completely cool.
- Transfer pastry cream into the cooled pie shell. Cover with plastic wrap touching the cream and chill about one hour.
- Arrange fruit on top of the cream just before serving time.
- Warm preserves in 2 tbsp of water and melt on low heat to form a glaze. Let cool for a moment.
- Brush cooled glaze over the fruit and serve.