The Talk: Michael Voltaggio
Top Chef alum Michael Voltaggio, from the new Travel Channel series Breaking Borders, was cuckoo for coconuts on The Talk, sharing ideas for Coconut Macadamia Granola, Coconut Macadamia Nut Milk, and an Islay Penicillin Cocktail. Read on to get all his recipe ideas.
Try combining the Coconut Macadamia Granola with the Coconut Macadamia Nut Milk for a great breakfast.
The Talk: Islay Penicillin Cocktail Recipe
Why is it called the Penicillin? “You don’t need anything else,” Voltaggio said. “It sounds like medicine already.”
- 2 oz Laphroaig Islay Scotch
- 3/4 oz Honey Syrup
- 2 or 3 dashes Yuzu Juice
- 3/4 oz Lemon Juice
- 3/4 oz Ginger Juice
- Candied Ginger
- Combine all ingredients over ice in a cocktail shaker.
- Strain over a single large ice cube into a highball glass.
- Garnish with candied ginger to serve.
The Talk: Michael Voltaggio Coconut Macadamia Nut Milk Recipe
- 4 cups Coconut Water
- 2 cups Macadamia Nuts
- Soak the nuts in clean water for at least four hours.
- Rinse the nuts. Then blend them with coconut water to form a nut milk.
The Talk: Michael Voltaggio Coconut Macadamia Granola Recipe Ingredients
- 3 cups Instant Oats
- 1 cup Sweetened Shredded Coconut
- 1/3 cup Brown Sugar
- 1/3 cup Agave Syrup
- 1 tsp ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground Cardamon
- 2 cups chopped Macadamia Nuts
- 1/3 cup Maple Syrup
- 1/2 tsp Nutmeg
- 8 oz chopped dried Pineapple
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Salt
Michael Voltaggio: The Talk Coconut Macadamia Granola Recipe Directions
- Combine all the ingredients, except for the pineapple.
- Toast everything for one hour at 250 F on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Once you remove the mixture from the oven, transfer it to a bowl and add the pineapple.
- Return the mixture to the sheet tray (be careful in case it is still hot) and gently press down to form an even layer across the tray.
- Let the granola set as it cools down. Then break it up into bars, pieces, or crumbles, depending on how you enjoy your granola.