The View/Chew Cook-Off: Team Fry Girls
Carla Hall was paired with Rosie Perez to comprise Team Fry Girls on The View/Chew Cook-Off. The ladies prepared a recipe of Groundnut Stew. As determined by judges Mario Cantone and Daphne Oz, this recipe was the winner of this third annual crossover cook-off.
It turns out this recipe may have been a ringer, because Carla admitted that it won her a trip to Tokyo when she prepared it on Top Chef. For more View/Chew Cook-Off recipes, look at Salsa Roja Steak Tacos, Zucchini Keftedes, and Chicken Piccata with Lemon Pasta.
The View: Carla Hall Groundnut Stew Recipe Ingredients
This is a hearty African Groundnut Stew. You could make it more decadent by including meat, but if you are on a budget, this will help you go a long way. Plus, it’s a “dump and stir” recipe, which means it’s not too complicated to make.
- 1 clove minced Garlic
- 1 1/2 cups cooked Red Beans
- 1 cup chopped Red Bell Pepper
- 1 roasted, peeled, seeded, diced Green Chile
- 3 tbsp Creamy Peanut Butter
- 1 1/2 cups chopped Onion
- 2 cups peeled, cubed Sweet Potatoes
- 3 cups Vegetable Stock
- 1 1/2 tsp grated Ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground Cumin
- 1 14.5-oz can Diced Tomatoes
- 1/2 seeded, fine chopped Habanero
- 1 1/2 cups Water
- 3 tbsp chopped Dry Roasted Peanuts
- 1 Lime, in wedges
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil (+1 tbsp)
- 2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
Carla Hall: The View Groundnut Stew Recipe Directions
- Saute 2 tbsp olive oil with the cubed potatoes; salt and cook for two or three minutes until they start to caramelize.
- Heat oil on medium and saute onion with garlic to soften them.
- Add sweet potatoes to the pot with stock, peppers, tomatoes, beans, water, chiles, and spices.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cook on low for around 35 minutes, or until tender.
- Whisk 1/2 cup water with peanut butter in a small bowl. Stir this into the stew.
- Garnish bowls of stew with chopped peanuts and offer fresh lime wedges at the table.
Leave a Reply