The View/Chew Cook-Off: Team Crock Pot
The co-hosts of The View and The Chew came together once again for ABC Daytime’s third annual View/Chew Cook-Off. The focus was on affordable meals, and the contest was judged by Mario Cantone and The Chew’s Daphne Oz.
Mario Batali teamed up with Whoopi Goldberg on Team Crock Pot, and together they made a meal of Salsa Rojo Steak Tacos. To keep the party going, check out the competing recipes for Zucchini Keftedes, Groundnut Stew, and Chicken Piccata.
The teams were challenged to make a meal that cost $10 or less. Mario said that skirt steak is an inexpensive cut, and you can customize the spice blend if you prefer things milder, as Whoopi Goldberg does.
The View: Mario Batali Salsa Roja Steak Tacos Recipe Ingredients
- 1 tsp ground Chile De Arbol
- 1 tbsp ground Cumin
- 1 lb Skirt Steak
- 1 tbsp Paprika
- 2 tbsp Salt
- Corn Tortillas
- Olive Oil
Salsa Roja Ingredients
- 4 cored Vine Ripened Tomatoes
- 1 tsp Chipotle in Adobo Sauce
- 4 cloves Garlic
- Zest & Juice of 1 Lime
- Hot Water
- Cilantro leaves
- Avocado slices
- Cotija Cheese
Mario Batali: The View Salsa Roja Steak Tacos Recipe Directions
- Combine chile de arbol with cumin, paprika, and 2 tbsp salt in a bowl. Use this to rub the meat and let it rest as the grill preheats.
- Preheat and season the grill on medium high.
- Drizzle the meat with olive oil and cook it for five to six minutes, turning only once.
- Let the meat rest before you slice and serve it.
- Heat the tortillas on a griddle (or use a skillet) just to warm them up before assembling the tacos.
Salsa Roja Directions
- Preheat the broiler.
- Spread tomatoes with garlic on a baking sheet and broil until the tomatoes just begin to char.
- Remove from the oven and transfer to a blender with lime juice and adobo sauce.
- Puree, using water to thin if needed, until you reach your preferred salsa consistency.