Today’s Kitchen: Cooking Light
Cooking Light contributor Frances Largeman-Roth was in Today’s Kitchen to share fresh, simple recipe ideas like Maple-Glazed Chicken, Cantonese-Style Shrimp, and White Pizza. Also try her Pulled Pork and Vegetarian Chili.
Today Show: Cooking Light Maple-Glazed Chicken with Apple-Brussels Sprout Slaw Recipe Ingredients
“We’re starting off with some chicken cutlets,” Largeman-Roth said, noting that this dish cooks quickly. This dish is under 300 calories per serving.
- 8 2-oz Chicken Cutlets
- 3 tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
- 8 oz Brussels Sprouts
- 1 sliced Fuji Apple (or use Gala)
- 2 tbsp Maple Syrup
- 1/4 cup Dried Currants
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
Cooking Light: Frances Largeman-Roth Maple-Glazed Chicken with Apple-Brussels Sprout Slaw Recipe Directions
- Heat a skillet on medium high. Salt and pepper the chicken.
- Swirl 1 tbsp olive oil in the pan before adding chicken.
- Cook three minutes per side, until done. Keep chicken warm out of the pan.
- Combine 2 tbsp vinegar with syrup and boil it in the pan. Cook one minute, or until reduced to 3 tbsp.
- Return the chicken to the pan and coat it in this glaze.
- Halve Brussels sprouts along their length. Then slice them thinly in the other direction.
- Combine 1 tbsp olive oil with 1 tbsp vinegar and some salt and pepper. Once whisked, add sprouts with apple and currants, tossing until mixed.
- Serve the slaw alongside the cooked chicken.
Today Show: Frances Largeman-Roth Cantonese-Style Shrimp and Napa Cabbage Recipe Ingredients
These shrimp cook quickly and are meant to be served with soba noodles. There’s sherry in the slurry, and it is a very low-fat dish.
- 1/3 cup fat-free, low-sodium Chicken Broth
- 1 tsp Cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp Sugar
- 2 tsp Dark Sesame Oil
- 1 lb peeled, deveined Large Shrimp
- 1 tsp minced Garlic
- 1/3 cup sliced Green Onions
- 2 tbsp Dry Sherry
- 1 tbsp ground Ginger
- 4 cups shredded Napa Cabbage
- 2 tsp Peanut Oil
- Salt & Pepper
Frances Largeman-Roth: Cooking Light Cantonese-Style Shrimp and Napa Cabbage Recipe Directions
- Whisk together chicken broth with cornstarch, sugar, dry sherry, salt and pepper.
- Heat a wok or skillet on high. Add oils and swirl to coat the pan.
- Stir-fry the shrimp for one minute. Then add garlic and ginger, cooking another 30 seconds.
- Add broth and bring to a boil. Cook two minutes, or until it thickens.
- Stir in the cabbage and cook another minute. Add onions and serve.
Today Show: Cooking Light Tomato & Basil White Pizza Recipe
This pizza cooks in just minutes under the broiler, and it’s 350 calories for two slices, which is something we can all get excited about.
- 1 10-oz Boboli Italian Cheese-Flavored Thin Pizza Crust
- 1/2 cup shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- 1/2 cup sliced Tomatoes
- 1/4 cup Basil leaves
- 1 tsp Cornmeal
- 3 tbsp Pesto with Basil
- 1/2 cup Ricotta Cheese
- Crushed Red Pepper
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- Cooking Spray
- Preheat the broiler on high. Place a baking sheet in the oven to heat up for about 10 minutes.
- Place crust on a separate cornmeal-dusted baking sheet. Coat crust lightly in cooking spray.
- Spread pesto over the crust, leaving a border of about one inch around the edge.
- Add an even layer of mozzarella over the pesto, followed by dollops of ricotta.
- Carefully transfer the crust to the preheated baking sheet.
- Broil about five minutes, until cheese starts to melt.
- Top with tomatoes, basil, red pepper, and black pepper. Slice and serve.