Today Show: Jeanne Benedict
Lifestyle expert Jeanne Benedict was on Kathie Lee & Hoda’s show to share her kid-friendly treat of Reindeer Marshmallow Hot Chocolate Floats. For more adult-friendly ideas, consider her Penguin Martini or reindeer-inspired North Pole Mules.
Kathie Lee & Hoda: Jeanne Benedict Reindeer Marshmallow Hot Cocoa Floats Recipe Ingredients
“You put it right in the mug and it melts,” Jeanne Benedict said of the finished product in her Reindeer Marshmallow recipe. It’s a marshmallow that looks like a reindeer, and it will become a part of your drink as you sip.
- 1/2 cup Cold Water
- 2 cups Sugar
- 1/4 cup Water
- 1/4 cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- Mini Pretzels
- 1/2 tsp Vegetable Oil
- 1 1/2 cups Powdered Sugar
- 3 1/4-oz Knox Unflavored Gelatin packets
- 3/4 cup Corn Syrup
- 2 tsp ground Ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground Cinnamon
- 1 cup Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- 1 Egg White
- Red M&Ms
Jeanne Benedict: Kathie Lee & Hoda Reindeer Marshmallow Hot Cocoa Floats Recipe Directions
- Line the bottom of an 8” square baking dish with plastic wrap and grease it with butter.
- Place 1/2 cup cold water in a mixing bowl. Sprinkle gelatin over the water and let stand about five minutes.
- Combine sugar, corn syrup, 1/4 cup water, 1/4 cup cocoa powder, ginger, and cinnamon in a saucepan. Heat until boiling on medium high.
- As soon as it boils, transfer sugar mixture to the bowl with the dissolved gelatin. Beat on low for three minutes. Then beat on high for about six minutes, or until fluffy.
- Pour the mixture into your square pan and let sit at room temperature for a minimum of two hours.
- Lift the marshmallow concoction out of it dish by pulling up by the plastic wrap. Place it on the counter.
- Use nonstick spray to lightly prepare a heart-shaped cookie cutter. Cut six heart shapes out of the marshmallow batter, making sure they will fit inside mugs for your hot cocoa.
- Sift together 1 tbsp cocoa powder with 2 tbsp powdered sugar and use this combination to dust the marshmallows, making them less sticky. Place plastic wrap over them.
- Break up pretzels into antler shapes.
- Melt chocolate chips in vegetable oil on defrost in the microwave, working in 20-second increments until a bit lumpy. Stir the chocolate until it is smooth. Pour half the chocolate into a bowl and cover the rest with plastic wrap.
- Dip pretzel antlers in chocolate and let them rest on a plate lined with wax paper. Place the plate in the freezer for about five minutes so the chocolate can set.
- Re-melt the reserved chocolate if needed. Transfer it to a piping bag with a round tip and use it to affix the antlers to the marshmallows. You can also make ears and mouths for the reindeer.
- Pipe white icing onto the reindeer as desired to decorate them. Use a red M&M for the nose.
- For serving, prepare hot cocoa in oversized mugs. Top with whipped cream and set a reindeer marshmallow on the cream in each mug.