Today Show: Al Roker
Weatherman Al Roker was apparently forced to prepare artichokes against his will in the Today Food kitchen, despite his on-air protests. If you like artichokes more than Al Roker, you can try this Artichoke & Spinach Dip. Even though Al was not a fan, this is a popular appetizer. Previously, Carson Daly and Savannah Guthrie took a stand against Siri Pinter’s Eggplant Recipes.
“I just don’t see the point,” Al said of working with artichokes. “It’s a lot of work for not a lot.” His co-workers tried to salvage the situation, but the best Al could muster was, “There are ways to doctor them up so you don’t realize you’re eating them.”
Al declared during this cooking segment that artichokes are his least favorite vegetable. Tell me your least favorite vegetable by leaving me a comment.
Today Show: Al Roker Artichoke & Spinach Dip Recipe Ingredients
- 1 lb chopped Baby Spinach leaves
- 2 minced cloves Garlic
- 8 oz Cream Cheese
- 1/2 cup Sour Cream (or use Greek Yogurt)
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice
- 1 chopped Yellow Onion
- 1 14-oz can drained, quartered Artichoke Hearts
- 1 cup shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- 1 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
- Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
Al Roker: Today Show Artichoke & Spinach Dip Recipe Directions
- Heat some olive oil on medium high in a skillet.
- Once hot, add half the spinach. Stir and cook until wilted; add salt.
- Keep cooking, stirring often, until the liquid from the spinach has almost all evaporated.
- Place spinach in a strainer and set it over a bowl to drain.
- Wipe the skillet dry and add more oil, putting it back on the heat.
- Cook onions with salt and pepper until soft.
- Add garlic, cooking and stirring one more minute.
- Add artichoke hearts, cooking until heated through.
- Stir in cream cheese until it starts to melt and soften.
- Transfer the mixture to a large bowl. Add cheddar, Worcestershire, sour cream, and lemon juice.
- Add the rest of the spinach, stirring to fully incorporate. Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve, if you are making this ahead of time.
- Preheat the oven at 375 F.
- Pour the mixture into a baking dish and warm until bubbly and lightly browned.
- Serve with vegetables, chips, and/or crackers for dipping.