Today Show: Sweet Treat
You can skip some of the work (and baking) by picking up a shortcake at the grocery store. If you do that, you won’t need to make the biscuit portion of this recipe. Just top off your cake with plenty of macerated strawberries and whipped cream.
Today Show: Al Roker Strawberry Shortcake Biscuits Recipe Ingredients
- 3 pints hulled, quartered Strawberries
- 1/2 cup Sugar
Biscuit Shortcake Ingredients
- 3 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 tbsp Baking Powder
- 8 tbsp cubed cold Unsalted Butter
- 4 tbsp granulated Sugar
- 1 1/2 cups Heavy Cream
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 3/4 tsp Salt
Whipped Cream Ingredients
- 2 cups Heavy Cream
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 3 tbsp Confectioner’s Sugar
Al Roker: Today Show Strawberry Shortcake Biscuits Recipe Directions
- Stir strawberries with sugar and and let stand for at least 30 minutes (up to three hours). Stir occasionally while resting.
- Make the shortcakes. Preheat the oven at 375 F.
- Mix dry ingredients together in a bowl. Use your fingers to work in butter until it forms coarse crumbs.
- Stir cream with vanilla extract. Slowly add in flour until combined.
- Fold dough over on itself in the bowl a few times.
- Roll dough out on a flour-dusted prep surface to a thickness of 1”.
- Use a cutter to make 3” rounds and arrange them on a parchment-lined baking sheet. This should generate at least eight rounds, so put the scraps together to make extra biscuits if needed.
- Bake 12-15 minutes, until golden brown. Let cool complete.
- Stir heavy cream with sugar and vanilla into soft peaks.
- Halve shortcakes and place the bottom halves on serving plates.
- Spoon strawberries with juices over each cake, followed by a dollop of whipped cream.
- Drizzle more strawberry juices on top and put the top halves of the biscuits in place.
- Dust with confectioner’s sugar and serve.