Today Show: Andy Allen
Chef Andy Allen was in the Today Food kitchen with Kathie Lee & Hoda to share a freshly grilled menu of Steamed Clams with Garlic Bread. There are plenty more great one-pot recipes to try as well, like Summer Vegetable Chowder and Quinoa Risotto.
“There’s very few ingredients. It’s simple. It’s comfort food,” Allen said. To keep things even more simple during preparation, leave the skins on your garlic and don’t waste time chopping the cilantro. You’re just using it to flavor the oil, so you don’t have to worry about making everything perfect.
Kathie Lee & Hoda: Andy Allen Steamed Clams with Grilled Garlic Bread Recipe Ingredients
- 3 lb Clams
- 5 cloves Garlic
- 1/4 cup White Wine
- 1/2 bunch Cilantro (or use Basil)
- Juice of 1 Lemon
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil
- Grilled Garlic Bread Ingredients
- 8 slices fresh Sourdough Bread
- 1 peeled clove Garlic
- Olive Oil
Andy Allen: Today Show Steamed Clams with Grilled Garlic Bread Recipe Directions
- Heat a heavy frying pan on medium low.
- Add 1/4 cup olive oil to the pan.
- Use the back of a knife to flatten your garlic cloves. Add them to the pan without removing the skins.
- Reduce heat to low. Add the whole bunch of cilantro to the pan. Let this simmer for two minutes.
- Add clams with lemon juice and white wine. Cover the pot and whack the lid.
- Turn heat to medium and cook for two or three minutes, until the clams open up. Once they have all opened, the dish is done. (Discard any clams that do not open during cooking.)
- To make the grilled garlic bread, put a grilled pan on medium high heat.
- Drizzle bread with olive oil and arrange it on the pan. Let it cook until char marks have formed. Then flip to char on the other side.
- Rub a raw garlic clove over the bread once it is done toasting.
- Use grilled garlic bread to sop up the steamed clam sauce once you are finished eating.