Today Show: Willie Geist
“A lot of this stuff you probably already have in your cabinets,” Geist said. You will have to pick up the fresh ingredients, but this is a great slow-simmering recipe to leave on the stove while you take care of your to-do list. Do you have a favorite recipe that your father used to make?
“Then you can just put whatever you want,” Willie said at the toppings stage of the chili serving process. When it comes to chili, everyone has their own secret ingredients, additions, and toppings. Tell me what you think makes any bowl of chili complete. For Bill Geist, the answer seems to be extra chili powder. Leave me a comment with your suggestions and must-haves.
Today Show: Bill Geist Spicy Gonzo Chili Recipe Ingredients
- 1 lb Hamburger (or use cubed beef)
- 2 chopped Bell Peppers
- 3 tbsp Chili Powder (more to taste)
- 1 tbsp Dried Mustard
- 1 1/2 tbsp Sugar
- Juice of 1 Lemon
- 28 oz Water
- 1 can Red Kidney Beans
- 1 chopped Onion
- 1 28-oz can Whole Tomatoes
- 1 splash Red Wine
- 1 can Beer (optional)
- 2 Beef Bouillon cubes
- 2 tsp Cumin (optional)
Bill Geist: Today Show Gonzo Chili Recipe Directions
- Brown hamburger in olive oil with the onion in a large pot.
- Add chopped bell peppers, cooking to let them soften.
- Add all remaining ingredients, except beans. Adjust chili powder to your liking.
- Simmer the chili for about two and a half hours, stirring occasionally. The beans should be added during the final 30 minutes of cooking time.
- Optionally, serve this chili over macaroni noodles. You can garnish it with your favorite fridge condiments, like grated cheese or sour cream.