Today Show: Donal Skehan
Donal suggested wearing gloves to prevent the beets from staining your hands while you are peeling and slicing them. “Beetroot Risotto starts off with a good base of garlic and onions,” Donal said. The addition of wine was the only point at which Kathie Lee seemed interested.
Today Show: Donal Skehan Beet Risotto Recipe Ingredients
- 2 cups peeled, trimmed Beets
- 1 liter Vegetable Stock
- 2 fine chopped cloves Garlic
- 100 ml White Wine
- 1 fine chopped Onion
- 1 cup Arborino Rice (short grain rice)
- 1 handful grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1 handful Dill
- Sour Cream
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
Donal Skehan: Today Show Beet Risotto Recipe Directions
- Preheat the oven at 375 F.
- Wrap the beets in aluminum foil. Place the foil packet on a baking sheet. Roast for 45-60 minutes, until fork tender.
- Let the beets cool out of the oven until you can handle them. Peel the beets and cut them into small chunks.
- Heat olive oil in a frying pan. Add onion and garlic; let soften about 10 minutes.
- Add rice to the pan. Take it off the heat to stir it in and coat it with the onion mix.
- Place the pan back over the heat. Add wine. Then add enough stock to cover the rice.
- Simmer and stir until the rice has pretty much absorbed all the liquid.
- Continue to add more stock, a bit at a time, until absorbed. This will take another 15 minutes and end with a creamy glaze on the rice.
- Place 1/4 of your beets in a food processor or blender and puree.
- Add puree to the rest of the beets. Mix this into the risotto along with parmesan, salt and pepper.
- Adjust stock if needed to loosen the risotto. Garnish with sour cream and dill to serve.