Today Show: Gail Simmons
Top Chef judge Gail Simmons spent some time in Today’s Kitchen at Christmas with some inspiring meal ideas that can feed any size crowd. You can also look for Gail in the pages of Food & Wine. Get her Pancetta-Wrapped Beef Tenderloin, and pair it with a side of Baked Acorn Squash.
Today Show: Gail Simmons Pancetta-Wrapped Beef Tenderloin Recipe Ingredients
Gail Simmons explained that she chose a center cut for a more even roasting time. She suggested estimating about six ounces per serving, and that one pound of meat would feed three to four people, because the meat is so rich. As always, you can substitute bacon for pancetta if you want.
- 2 oz dried Porcini Mushrooms
- 3 tbsp Unsalted Butter
- 2 cloves minced Garlic
- 2 cups boiling Water
- 3 minced Shallots
- 4 minced Scallions
- 1 3-lb Center Cut Trimmed Beef Tenderloin
- 7 oz thin sliced, chilled Pancetta
- 3 1/2 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- Salt & Pepper
Gail Simmons: Today Show Pancetta-Wrapped Beef Tenderloin Recipe Directions
- Preheat the oven at 450 F and soak porcini in boiling water for 20 minutes.
- Rub porcini to remove any dirt before patting it dry. Coarsely chop the mushrooms and puree them in a food processor.
- Melt butter to cook shallots on low heat until soft. Then add garlic and saute another two minutes.
- Add scallions next, cooking two minutes. Stir in porcini puree with salt and pepper; let cool.
- Salt and pepper the tenderloin. Heat 2 tbsp oil in a skillet and sear the roast on medium high until browned on all sides; let rest.
- On a prep surface, arrange three 16” pieces of wax paper so that they just overlap. Place the pancetta on the paper in overlapping rows, in the shape of a rectangle that is as long as your cut of meat.
- Spread pureed porcini over the pancetta and place the tenderloin at the bottom edge of the pancetta. Tightly roll the roast in the pancetta and peel the paper away.
- Use kitchen string to tie the roast together so it stays in place while cooking.
- Place the tenderloin in a rimmed baking sheet and brush it with 1 1/2 tbsp of oil. Roast about 25 minutes, to an internal temperature of 120 F.
- Let rest 10 minutes before removing the strings and cutting the roast into thick slices.