Today Show: Father’s Day Favorites
In observance of Father’s Day, Kathie Lee Gifford joined her Today Show colleagues in sharing a delicious dish that brings back memories of her dad. She shared a simple main course of Pork and Sauerkraut, which her family traditionally enjoyed on Christmas Day. Previously, Willie Geist shared his father’s Gonzo Chili recipe.
“He enjoyed every single bite,” Kathie Lee said about her father’s love of food. “The smell of that pork roasting so slowly in the oven just permeated all through the house.” Do you have a favorite family meal that you can smell cooking when you close your eyes? Tell me what it is by leaving a comment.
Kathie Lee also welcomed her sister-in-law to Today’s Kitchen. Her sister-in-law said that she never liked sauerkraut until she became a part of the family. What do you think of sauerkraut?
Today Show: Kathie Lee Gifford Pork and Sauerkraut Recipe Ingredients
- 4 lb boneless Pork Loin Roast
- 2 14.5-oz cans Sauerkraut with juices (or use one 28-30 oz can; use plain, unflavored sauerkraut)
- Garlic Salt
Kathie Lee Gifford: Today Show Pork and Sauerkraut Recipe Directions
- Preheat the oven to 325 F.
- Arrange the uncovered roast in a metal baking pan with the fat side up.
- Sprinkle garlic salt all over the roast for an even coating.
- Bake the roast for 60 to 90 minutes, using a meat thermometer to check its level of doneness (the USDA recommends 145 F as a safe minimum temperature for consuming cooked pork).
- During the last 45 minutes of cooking time, add sauerkraut to the pan. Stir it into the pan juices to help it brown. Continue to stir the sauerkraut occasionally during the remaining cooking time.
- Serve with mashed potatoes or your choice of side dish.