Today’s Kitchen: Martha Stewart
It seems like almost every day must feel like Christmas to Martha Stewart. She has dedicated her life to entertaining well, and she always has the perfect recipe or idea for any occasion. She shared some last-minute Christmas suggestions with Today Show’s Matt Lauer and Tamron Hall, including Spiced Nuts and her own homemade Eggnog Recipe.
Martha Stewart: Easy Hot Cocoa Gift Idea
Martha also suggested a simple but tasteful last-minute gift idea. Create a Hot Cocoa Kit for someone by filling a clean, empty jam jar with quality cocoa, a layer of mini marshmallows, and a layer of chocolate candy on top. Decorate the outside of the jar with ribbon, a bow, or bells.
These seem like a great project to have the kids help with, and I’d argue that you could even do it after Christmas and give these as gifts for New Year’s Eve, January birthdays, or another winter occasion.
Today Show: Martha Stewart Spiced Nuts Recipe Ingredients
What nuts should you choose for this easy go-to snack from Martha Stewart? Suggestions could include pecans, whole almonds (with skin on), cashews, Marcona almonds, and peanuts. Tell me if you find the perfect combination by leaving a comment after you try this recipe.
- 10 cups Mixed Nuts
- 3 tbsp packed Light Brown Sugar
- 5 sprigs Thyme leaves
- 4 tbsp Unsalted Butter
- 1/2 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 2 sprigs Rosemary leaves
- Salt & Pepper
Martha Stewart: Today Show Spiced Nuts Recipe Directions
- Preheat the oven at 350 F.
- Arrange nuts on a rimmed baking sheet and toast about 15-20 minutes, until browned and aromatic.
- Melt butter on medium high in a small saucepan. Let the butter gently brown but not burn. Set it aside off the heat.
- Mix sugar with cayenne, rosemary, thyme, salt and pepper. Work in the brown butter.
- Toss nuts into the mixture and stir.
- Return the seasoned nuts to their baking sheet and stick them back in the oven.
- Bake another 10 minutes or so, until the nuts are dry.
- Let cool completely before serving.