Today Show: Melissa Clark
New York Times columnist Melissa Clark was in the Today Food kitchen with Kathie Lee & Hoda to share a way you can make the best of peaches this time of year, even if they’re not as sweet as you would have liked. The solution is to turn them into a Skillet Peach Crisp, so keep reading to get the recipe.
The trick to slicing a Peach is to treat it just like an Avocado. Cut through the center all the way around. Then twist to separate the halves and remove the pit from the center. You don’t need to peel the peaches for this, because the skins contain plenty of flavor.
Today Show: Melissa Clark Skillet Peach Crisp Recipe Ingredients
“Minute Tapioca is fabulous because it thickens it,” Clark said, without leaving the taste or flavor behind. That means you don’t need to worry about any pudding flavor in the finished product. If you have Almond Extract, Melissa said the flavor complements Peach well.
- 1 3/4 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1/3 cup granulated Sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground Ginger
- 1/2 cup melted Butter
- 1/3 cup Dark Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 cup fine chopped Almonds
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 6 cups dried ripe Peaches (or use Nectarines)
- 3 tbsp Instant Tapioca
- 1 tbsp cold Unsalted Butter (in pieces)
- 1/4 cup Light Brown Sugar (more to taste)
- 2 tsp Lemon Juice
- 2-3 drops Vanilla Extract (or use Almond Extract)
- 1 pinch Salt
- Vanilla Ice Cream (to serve)
Melissa Clark: Today Show Skillet Peach Crisp Recipe Directions
- Preheat the oven at 350 F.
- Toss peaches with tapioca, sugar, lemon juice, extract, and salt. Let stand about 20 minutes, tossing now and then.
- Whisk together the flour spices, sugars, and salt for the topping in a mixing bowl.
- Add butter and almonds, stirring to the consistency of coarse crumbs.
- Place the peaches in an oven-safe skillet. Cook them on medium heat, stirring for about four minutes, until the sugar melts and the peaches become juicy.
- Sprinkle butter pieces over the peaches.
- Sprinkle the crumb mixture over the peaches.
- Transfer to the oven. Bake 45-55 minutes, until peaches are bubbly and topping is a light golden.
- Let cool for at least one hour. Serve with vanilla ice cream.