Today Food: Pamela Salzman
Whether you love or hate zucchini, you probably know that it is not among the most popular vegetables. But the gang in the Today Food kitchen wondered why that is, since it is so plentiful and can be used in a variety of ways. Cooking instructor Pamela Salzman showed Matt Lauer how to prepare her tempting meal idea for Pizza Zucchini Boats.
Pamela said that some people don’t like the blandness of zucchini. But she said she loves it because that helps to make the recipe more versatile. What’s great about this recipe is that, as with any other pizza, you can play with the ingredients and mix in some of your own favorite toppings. Tell me what you would add or remove from the ingredients list if you made these pizza boats at home.
Today Show: Pamela Salzman Pizza Zucchini Boats Recipe Ingredients
- 4 Zucchini
- 1 diced Onion
- 2 minced cloves Garlic
- 3 chopped Basil leaves
- 1/2 cup shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- 1/2 diced Sweet Bell Pepper
- 1 or 2 diced Tomatoes
- 1/3 cup grated Pecorino Romano Cheese (or use Parmesan)
- 1 cup Marinara Sauce
- 2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
Pamela Salzman: Today Show Pizza Zucchini Boats Recipe Directions
- Preheat the oven at 425 F and grease or line a baking dish.
- Trim off the stems of each zucchini. Cut the vegetables in half along the length.
- Place each zucchini half on a plate or flat prep surface. Use a teaspoon to scrape out the soft fleshy centers. Set them aside.
- Arrange the hollowed zucchini halves in the baking dish. Drizzle with olive oil; salt and pepper.
- Chop the reserved zucchini flesh.
- Heat olive oil on medium in a skillet. Saute the flesh from the zucchini with garlic, onion, and pepper. Cook until the onions are translucent and everything is on the tender side.
- Add the tomatoes with salt and pepper. Saute until the tomatoes release their juices into the mixture. Take off heat. Add basil and Pecorino cheese.
- Spoon the filling mixture into each zucchini boat.
- On top, add marinara sauce with mozzarella.
- Bake this for 15-20 minutes, until the cheese is melted and the boats are tender.